• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Paying someone else's council tax

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paying someone else's council tax

I am not sure of the legalities of the email I have just sent to my local council

3 years ago, my house, previously owned by my mum was put into mine and her name as joint tenants. I emailed the council, asking to have my name added to the council tax bill. They responded, asking for evidence, so I sent them a copy of the completion of registration from HM Land Registry. I received no reply

Eventually, I followed up, asking if it had been dealt with and got no reply. I received a 2021 council tax bill, still in my mums name only

I called the council who told me I had to email. I explained that I had, but they said that was the only way, so I emailed again... and again, later in the year

Early last year, my mum took ill and was admitted to a care home, outside the area covered by our council. I emailed again, explaining this and stating that I am now the sole occupier, again asking for the bill to be updated, but again, I received last year's bill in my mum's name

I paid, but emailed them again to point out that my mum no longer lives at the address, still without reply

I have just sent an email reiterating the point, but this time, I have stated that if I receive a bill, not addressed to me, it won't be paid. I made the point that the money will be available and it will be my full intention to pay, as soon as I receive a bill in my name

Am I legally OK to do this. My thinking is that they can't prosecute my mum for not paying a council tax bill for a house she doesn't live in, in a town she doesn't live in and they can't prosecute me for not paying a bill that isn't addressed to me

Am I right in thinking this?

Council tax is an occupier tax.

If there is no occupier the owner is liable.

Comment

In this case, there is an occupier, which is me. I have told them this many times and I am now the sole occupier

This became an issue when I lost my job. There was an additional benefit I could have got (I can't remember what it was now) but I needed to produce a council tax bill in my name. As the man who pays the bill and has done since my father died in 2017, I didn't expect this to be an issue

Comment

I would suggest asking your local Councillor to become involved. I would also suggest that you make an allegation of maladministration, directly to you council's chief executive, pointing out that because of that maladministration you have been prevented from access to certain benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by efpom View Post
          I would suggest asking your local Councillor to become involved. I would also suggest that you make an allegation of maladministration, directly to you council's chief executive, pointing out that because of that maladministration you have been prevented from access to certain benefits.
          Thank you. I probably won't go down the route of maladministration, simply because the amount it cost me wasn't great. It would be more trouble than it was worth. I may however go down the route of the local councilor, if it doesn't get resolved.

Have you any idea on the original question? Would I be legally OK to not pay the bill, as long as it isn't addresed to me or anyone living at the house or in the area. I feel I have tried to get it changed and have been reasonable in assuring them I have the money and want to pay it, but am just not sure where I stand legally if I don't pay what is, in effect, someone else's bill

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X