• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Utility company gas service not transferred and customer ends up paying a higher rate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utility company gas service not transferred and customer ends up paying a higher rate

About 18 months ago I switched my gas and electricity from EDF to OVO on a fixed 1 year tariff. The electricty switch was completed but the gas was not. I complained many times but it just never got transferred. When the contract came up for renewal I ponted out that the amount I had to pay EDF was a lot higher than I would have been paying on the OVO contract.
    They offered a goodwill gesture of £250
    I pointed out that it had actually cost me over £1400 extra. They would not increase their offer and suggested I go to the ombudsman.
    The ombudsman has just ruled and agreed with everything I said and that OVO were at fault. However he pointed out clause 19.2 in their terms and conditions
    Which is this

19.2 We are not liable (responsible) for any:
    • financial loss or damage, such as lost profit, wasted expenses,
    income, business, opportunity, contracts or goodwill;
    • any losses that are not our fault, or that we could not have
    reasonably expected when we entered into this contract;
    • loss that you suffer under any contract or other relationship with
    any other person.

Therefore he could not ask them to compensate me

This seems to contradict 19.1 which is

If you suffer any loss or damage as a direct result of something we’ve
    done, our maximum liability to you will be no more than £100,000 per
    event or series of events if they’re connected

To me 19.2 is a very wide catch all phrase that basically says if we screw up we dont take any respo0nsibilty.

I was just wondering what anyone thought about this type of clause and whether it is worth me going to the small claims court for compensation

Any thoughts appreciated
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X