• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Provider wants 3 months bank statements is this lawful?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Provider wants 3 months bank statements is this lawful?

My utilities provider has requested 3 months bank statements as they are refusing to lower my DD payments (was £60 now £209)

I am on Universal Credit so cannot make their required amount, is what they are asking lawful? I don't wish to share my private information with them,

Thank you

Tags: None

Your usage is going to be much lower during the Summer months, there is a possibility that before winter you will have a huge credit on your account if they increase your DD.

On their website they will have a complaints procedure follow it, take it to the Services Ombudsman if they don't back down. It does seem 'unreasonable'.

They can ask for statements etc. My DD was changed by the utility provider, I just changed it back.

Comment

It is not illegal for them to ask for your bank statement but at the same time you are not legally required to give them that information. Personally, I would not give a bank statement simply because it's personal and intrusive and will be sitting on the provider's system likely for anyone to access. That kind of information should be limited and restricted on a need to know basis, but that's just my opinion.

As an alternative you could consider an income/expenditure list and complete that to show your levels of affordability.

Out of curiosity, has the increase come about because of the energy price rise? Almost a fourfold increase without any justification seems unreasonable and I would be challenging the provider to explain why the increase is so much, especially going into the summer where energy such as gas and heating is less likely to be used.

You may or may not be aware that the regulator Ofgem has recently announced an investigation into some providers who have potentially increased customer bills to 'shore up' their accounts ahead of the further increase later this year. If you are not happy with the explanation why the increase is four time more than what it used to be then you could tell them that you are going to report them to Ofgem because you believe the increase is in breach of the rules. Providers are entitled to increase prices based on estimates and price increases to energy but they must be reasonable and proportionate.

Suggest you also make a formal complaint and get that ball rolling too so they will need to provide a written explanation as to how they have arrived at this decision. If you are paying energy based on estimates then you should be looking to submit actual readings as much as possible to try and reduce the amount - as an example, my energy with Shell Energy after the energy increase was going to be around £170, but after submitting regular readings they have agreed to drop it to £90.
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X