• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

OVO energy sponsored breaking and entering?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OVO energy sponsored breaking and entering?

My partner awoke to four men at the bedroom door after a long nightshift at the hospital on a cardiac unit.
    as she sleeps naked and was alone in the flat this was particularly traumatising for her.
    let me backtrack a little and tell you how this occurred and it beggars belief.
    we had been receiving what we presumed was junk mail for months from an energy supplier, OVO.
    the letters were addressed to a person unknown to us and as such I regularly returned to sender.
    the letters kept coming and ,as this was our only junk mail, I decided to see if I could stop them sending it.
    The letter I opened was a threat of legal action. Consequently I called OVO and was informed that an erroneous transfer had occurred (when admin notes the wrong meter number when switching energy supplier).
    OVO however still executed the warrant despite knowing this.
    during the following weeks of painful investigation I discovered a horror show, a catalogue of frankly unbelievable events.
    OVO claimed they had every right to execute the warrant of entry and had done nothing wrong.
    They said that they had tried to visit the property but it was an old charity shop with no access to the letterbox and that the property was empty( a 'precordial' visit is mandatory to protect vulnerable customers from the unnecessary trauma of forced entry)
    the property was however occupied that day...DEC 21 as we were expecting parcels and did not want to miss them for Xmas and the description was bizarre. a newly refurbished property....I visited any easily confused addresses nearby, no joy. I then searched google maps and discovered that the image for the property was very out of date (pre refurbishment) but exactly matched the description OVO gave. No visit occurred, in fact OVO stated that despite it being standard practice no photos were taken, no calls made from the visit, no fuel receipts or parking receipts were available, absolutely no evidence whatsoever of a visit at all.
    OVO seem quite confident of no consequences for them deceiving the courts to obtain a warrant of entry, applying for a warrant without grounds to do so and violating industry charters specifically put in place to prevent this from occurring.
    My partner was traumatised and required therapy, the knock on effect on our autistic son was very upsetting and she no longer feels safe in our home.
    OFGEM ruled in our favour but is a rather toothless beast.
    OVO offered £1000 but that doesn't even cover the cost of therapy.
    Legal precedent for this kind of thing has eluded my research so far and I haven't found a solicitor willing to take on the case for compensation.
    If by chance you know how to proceed please don't hesitate to contact me.
    Tags: None

As someone who grants such warrants I can tell you how it was done. A bundle of them are brought into court. The rep from the company will be sworn in. He/She will be asked if all protocols have been followed (letters, visits) and will reply that they have. They may be asked if there have been checks for vulnerable people etc. Once the questions are asked and answered warrants are signed en masse. No proof of visits are given (eg parking receipts etc). Your mistake was not engaging with Ovo at an earlier point I think - I have also had a problem with someone trying to move my account fraudulently to another supplier and have hit a brick wall with the company concerned who will not reveal information due to "customer confidentiality". I could easily have been in a similar position. I personally doubt you will be able to claim any compensation and I would take the £1000 offered in your position but if you do decide to sue please keep us informed. I have no professional reason for my opinion!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X