• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Smart meter readings and their misuse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smart meter readings and their misuse

Over a period of 175 days I have consumed 2000 Kw/hrs of electric power. My electricity supply company has issued 3 invoices covering the same period, one original covering the first 90 days of the period, and two revised invoices covering the same 90 days and the balance of the period.
    In the two revised versions the first 90 days consumption is reduced by changing the meter readings while the dates of the meter readings remain the same, e.g. the meter reading taken on the 7th April on the original invoice is 6405, on the second invoice(rev.1) it is 5500, and on the third(rev.2) it is 5959. Each meter reading is described on each of the invoices as a “Smart meter reading”.
    Both revised version of the invoice reduce the electric power consumed during the first 90 day period covered by the invoice, which by coincidence is charged at £0.15 per Kw/hr. and effectively shift the balance of the consumption to a later period charged at £0.18 per Kw/hr.
    Am I correct that these “errors” mean that my supplier is in breach of their duties under the terms of The Electricity Act 1989, Standard Conditions of Electricity Supply Licence?
    Tags: None

Hi WILKIE

The whole point of installing 'smart meters' is that they report meter readings accurate and timely (actual). Clearly something has gone wrong and needs investigating. It also means that previous bills could be effected. Lodge a complaint with the energy provider, depending on what they say, you could lodge a complaint with the Services Ombudsman.

'Am I correct that these 'errors' mean that my supplier is in breach of their duties under the terms of The Electricity Act 1989, Standard Conditions of Electricity Supply Licence?' - Yes

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X