• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Account set up by water company without permission

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Account set up by water company without permission

My husband noticed defaults on his credit report from a water company that he has never had an account with. They are for a previous address that we have not been in for nearly 6 years, when we did live there the water was in my name, and the account was paid and upto date when we left and I changed the address. The bills he has been charged for are for periods 2018-2019, so 3 years after us leaving the address and another Tennant moving in. After getting intouch with the company to query the above they proceeded to tell us that they had been informed the property was empty however water was still being used, so they took it upon themselves to investigate who could be occupying the property and because a letter addressed to my husband had previously been sent there, THEY opened an account in his name and are holding him liable for the bill. We are not overly concerned about getting this wiped as we can prove through tenancy agreements and council tax bills that he was not living in that property however, my question is, is what they have done legal? Can they just set up an account in his name without his consent or even informing him?
    Tags: None

Hi SWIN91

It clearly the Data Protection Principles, it would also effect the ability to obtain credit because of the defaults on the credit file.

Definitely 'maladministration' as they should have tried to find out who lived there first instead of taking the easy option 'the letter' they received. You should be compensated, send them a formal complaint in writing, then follow the advise in the link, if you aren't happy with the compensation offered.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/co...water-company/

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X