• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Water Company Harassment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Company Harassment

Can anybody please direct me to current rules regarding disputed water company debts.

Specifically, for almost a year a water company claimed to be investigating their erroneously holding me accountable for an address I was not an occupier of. Initially I had received a bill for 4k and was told it related to a property I owned.

I started paying instalments as I was threatened with the removal of my car by a litigation manager. One month later I discovered I was in fact paying someone else's bill.

I immediately disputed the debt and on the same day arranged for a Council officer to contact the water company in order to furnish them with the details of the true occupier.

Over the next year, while the water company investigated the disputed debt, I received text messages demanding payment, then when I asked for my phone number to be removed from their system as I was getting 3am text message demands, they started sending demands in the post, then I received a letter threatening to apply for a charging order against my Mothers property. All of this occurred whilst the water company claimed to be investigating why someone else's bill had been added to my account.

I was under the impression that threatening enforcement action while a debt was in dispute constituted harassment, however I have just had a complaint response from a director of the company which says:

'.........I would like to respond to the allegations about our employees. We take all complaints about staff conduct very seriously and take time to investigate these appropriately. Whilst I understand that you’re unhappy about our debt recovery activity, I’m satisfied that we have acted fairly and in proportion to the level of debt outstanding.

We are entitled to test your financial position and explain the consequences of non-payment. Whilst I appreciate this may be an uncomfortable experience, it’s very necessary. We’re committed to keeping bill increases as low as possible for our customers, who in turn trust us to recover debt and prevent collection costs being passed onto them..........'

At no time was I proven to be liable for the demanded sums and regardless, all demands were sent while the debt was in dispute.

Are water company's permitted to threaten enforcement whilst also claiming to be investigating the dispute?

Any help would be greatly received.

Tags: None

May pay you to look up Ferguson v British Gas Trading Ltd.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X