• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Eon transferred debt after debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eon transferred debt after debt

Good evening

My dad recently passed away and the gas and electric with EON was in his sole name

I phoned EON and got account in mums name but the debt of my dads £350 was transferred over into new account

I questioned this but they replied to email saying that mum automatically inherits any o/s debt from dad

I thought that all debts were nullified if the estate couldnt cover it.

Can anyone help please?

TIA
    Tags: None

Peridot67

Comment

It all depends on company policy.

Certain companies WILL chase for payment, especially if the account goes in to the name of a living relative.

As far as I am aware they cannot do it for someone who has never been in the house, but in the case of a living spouse they inherit the debt.

Peridot might have more info on the legalities on it.
      PLEASE NOTE: I work irregular hours including nights and sleep in shifts. If I have not responded in 48 hours, please ask an admin to Messenger me!

"If you ever feel alone, remember, I am just the other side of the rainbow, or just south of the North Star. Whichever is closer." - A.J Murphy. 17/3/1974 - 16/03/1997 (RIP babe <3)

Comment

Hi Stunner1901,

Unfortunately debts don't just get wiped out if someone dies. Any debt should be dealt with as part of the estate of your father so basically paid from his estate assets prior to any legacies passing to the beneficiaries.

In the usual course of things the debt would be settled having provided a final meter reading and then a new account set up in the new account name. However if your mum lived at the property too then the situation isn't as straightforward. If your dad's estate value did not cover his debts and funeral expenses then you should argue with the energy company. However, if his estate did have funds then they should go to pay debts in the first instance before any inheritance is passed to the beneficiaries (whether by Will or under the intestacy rules if there is no Will).

Have you checked the meter readings or are they all estimates? If estimated you may find the figure is way off anyway?

So basically if your dad lived alone and there was not sufficient in his estate then the sum should be written off. If he lived with mum (or anyone else) at the property then they will usually become responsible for the outstanding sum. It would be sensible to contact the utilities even if mum is now responsible to explain the situation and make some arrangements for repayment over a period of time?

I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.

Comment

Hi

Thanks for posts

Dad lived with mum but had no money in his estate only debts unfortunately

I will contact EON and see if we can set up an arrangement for the debt seperate to the ongoing charges for mum

Again thanks for your help

Comment

Remember, don't allow them to bully you in to payments Mum can't easily afford. You don't need to make an upfront payment to set up a payment plan, that is the agent trying to bulk up their cash target figures and you can (with Mum's consent) be named as a contact if she doesn't feel up to speaking to them herself yet.

Also, if Mum has any disability ask about the Vulnerable tarrifs and the Priority Service Register. This will ensure Mum is kept up to date if there are any problems, and gets priority over others to get services back. They may also be able to set up a password for engineers so Mum knows it is safe to let people in.

Please remind Mum, if in doubt.. keep them out. Call your provider and ask them to check if someone is actually calling at the house. Don't call any number they give you, google it if need be!
            PLEASE NOTE: I work irregular hours including nights and sleep in shifts. If I have not responded in 48 hours, please ask an admin to Messenger me!

"If you ever feel alone, remember, I am just the other side of the rainbow, or just south of the North Star. Whichever is closer." - A.J Murphy. 17/3/1974 - 16/03/1997 (RIP babe <3)

Comment

Hi

This was the reply to my email asking about the debt

""I've had a look on your account and the debt from your late husband's account has been carried over on to your account. When you became the Executor of Mr Turner's account, this was also taken over any debt on the account.

Setting up a Payment Plan for the debt on the account - Please call us on 0345 302 4251

We’ll need to speak to you on the phone to set up a payment plan. Please give us a call on the above number and we can go through everything with you to make sure we can set up something that you can afford. We’re open Monday to Friday 8am - 8pm.""

plus loads of contact numbers for stepchange etc.

I have just sent an email requesting that the debt be separated so it can be dealt with alongside normal payments and stressed about the worry it is causing mum

Comment

I am going to suggest that it won't be.

From personal experience, there isn't a way it can be, the lot will be calculated together and a figure will be suggested, not that you have to accept that figure, you don't.

If they suggest to you that, for example, they add £20 to the dd to cover the cost and you think it will be a problem for Mum, say no. Suggest maybe £10 and that if needed you will try and make ad hoc payments here and there to bring it down.

If you want help with this, don't be afraid to tag me by putting an @ sign and typing in my name, or shout of an admin the same way and ask them to messenger me.

You're doing well, don't worry, you have a tame trained customer service advisor at your disposal (aka meeeeeeeeeeeee!!!)

Comment

Thanks slainte caragh

When i spoke to them originally they were quoting £126 per month which was way out of reach. I said 80 but they said the amount has to clear arrears plus usage within 12 months

I will see what they reply and let you know

Thanks again

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X