• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Taking Energy Company to Court

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking Energy Company to Court

Hi there,

looking for for advice on how to take British Gas to court. Without going into war and peace here is issue in nutshell. With BG from May 16 to Feb 17 with no issue and bills correct.
    Chabged to Sainsbury’s Energy in Feb 17 - who are run by BG. In June 17 after only 3 months of supply they billed me for £769! With no explanation...
    we moved property in August 17 and I have been tried to sort ever since.
    I have complained to ombudsman- got no where! Citizens Advice - can’t help as I’ve been to ombudsman
    Although CA did advise that the meter was registered incorrectly so I was billed for someone else’s property as well as my own!
    I have now overpaid by approximately £360 but they are STILL demanding more and I have debt collectors hassling me now.
    BG have refused to talk to either CA or myself as they said ombudsman have ruled tough!
    How do I take them to court now I have full statement of use for both companies?

Many thanks
    Tags: None

Hello

So what was the outcome of the Ombudsman's decision, if you were charged £769 for three months' supply, why did they not uphold your complaint because that seems to be a hell of a lot of energy for three months, unless you have a somewhat large home.

Before you consider commencing legal proceedings I think you need to make sure you have all of your ducks in a row and you are able to counter any arguments they have. Did you take a meter reading at the time you moved in and when you moved out? Also, have you checked your credit file to see if there are any adverse markers on there by BG?

If you truly believe that you BG are in the wrong then you could also look at claiming harassment and seeking additional damages on top. Harassment claims alone are usually done under the Part 8 procedure which are usually reserved for matters that are not in substantial dispute, though you would not fall within the scope of the small claims track to protect you.

However, if you coupled a harassment claim with a money claim then I can't see anything that says you can't bring a normal claim and providing the damages are under £10k, your claim should be allocated to the small claims track and afford yourself some protection in the event that you lose as costs are limited. Or you could omit any damages for harassment and claim the overpayment.

It would probably be helpful to see the Ombudsman's decision (personal info redacted) in order to establish and understand your position.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X