• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Plead guilty by mail for car park incident (Being called into court anyway)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plead guilty by mail for car park incident (Being called into court anyway)

A few months ago, it would seem I had an incident in a car park. The police contacted me in March and confirmed if I was using the car at the time in question, and I was. They advised that I had been accused of hitting another vehicle in the car park. At the time in question, I had briefly been concerned that I had been close to the other vehicle, but the sensor in my car hadn't gone off and when I checked my vehicle (not theirs) there was no damage whatsoever not even a scratch, so i genuinely thought no more of it. I mentioned this to the police at the time of the interview, at which point they charged me, though there were no witnesses beyond an anonymous sticker left on the accusers vehicle, with the registration number for my car and the colour of the vehicle on it. The person who alleged they had been struck by me advised that a back light was damaged and they had required a repair, but we unable to advise how much this had cost?

When the form came in allowing me to plead guilty, I did so. Explaining in mitigation, that at time I had satisfied myself I was being paranoid, and genuinely didn't think I had the vehicle, but I had clearly been negligent in not checking the other car to ascertain the same. I also mentioned an inaccuracy in the police report as they had incorrectly advised I had checked the other person's vehicle not just my own and I wanted that amended for the record. When I phoned in to check my result or sentencing with the procurator fiscal they advised that a new date had been set for me to discuss it in court, due possibly to my mitigation contradicting my guilty plea? Is this normal I'm very worried, and I do accept that, given the fact I'd saw fit to check my own vehicle. I should have checked the other vehicle also. Checking my own vehicle isn't enough (the police had actually said that to me when I'd advised I'd checked my vehicle, which made the report saying I'd checked the other person car -and not my own- a little strange). I'm a new driver with no points on my licence (yet). Am I being called in because I am about to be banned. I had hoped that my guilty plea would have resulted in point/ban and a fine, but I thought it might draw a line under the matter. Can anyone advise what I should do next?
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X