• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Citation received

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Citation received

Hi,

I recently contacted the police due to hearing a disturbance. The police attended and found the person in that residence had caused damage to the place they rent from a housing association.

My statement only says I heard the noise and called the police. The police attended and found the damage and the person there. i have now received a citation to attend court and I am absolutely sick with worry. This person has a violent and criminal history and I am a disabled woman living alone near to them. They have previously said things like "snitches get stitches" outside my door and when I've called before the police have always said they witnessed the issue so I wouldn't have to be involved.

I can't even sleep with the worry caused by all this and I'm wondering if there is someone I can talk to about how necessary it is for me to attend the court considering the lack of information I actually have to provide. I don't even know what this person looks like because I'm unable to leave my house so never run into them.

The citation doesn't give me much information. Is there a way I can withdraw a statement? I'm honestly considering just accepting I might be arrested for not going because honestly it's better than what will happen if I do.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
    Tags: None

You mention a citation. That is a US word - are you in the UK? What does the letter say? Is it a witness summons? My advice would be to contact witness care. It is very likely that you could send in a written statement and that that could be agreed between parties with no need to attend if all that is said is that you called the police. Get in touch - witness care witll help. If you don't have their details phone the court and get them.

Comment

Hi, no, I'm in Scotland. It says "witness citation".

Comment

Ah apologies - I work in English courts and have not heard them called that. Perhaps someone who knows about law in Scotland can help? I expect courts also have witness care - ring them!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X