• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

student let

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• student let

Would be grateful for views on this one please. Paid a deposit for a student flat but offspring could not attend that uni (covid related issues). Asked for deposit back but refused. I thought this was an "illegal premium" in Scotland and applied to the First Tier Tribunal. Found this on gov website
    Illegal premiums

In Scotland, landlords and letting agents can only ask tenants to pay for:
    • rent
    • a refundable deposit (which can't be more than 2 months' rent)
    Any other charges to tenants are called 'illegal premiums' and are against the law. They include charges like:
    • administration fees
    • credit checks
    • holding fees (including refundable and non refundable fees)
    They have now said
    You made the application under Rule 111, which relates to Private Residential Tenancies. A tenancy is not a PRT if it is excluded in terms of Schedule 1 paragraph 5 of the Private Housing (Tenancies) (Scotland) Act 2016 (Student Let). Can you please familiarise yourself with that provision and then advise the Tribunal further of the nature of the property in that context. Student let “5(1)A tenancy cannot be a private residential tenancy if— (a)the purpose of it is to confer on the tenant the right to occupy the let property while the tenant is a student,

So it looks like my £135 is lost - any comments? Would you not think that if "illegal premiums" did not apply to student tenancies they would TELL YOU THAT on the website specifically?
    Last edited by islandgirl; 29th November 2020, 15:14:PM.
    Tags: None

ScottishSolicitor
    "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

What the Tribunal are pointing out is that you have used the wrong procedure - a student let not being a PRT. On what contractual basis is the deposit being withheld? You may have an argument based on frustration of contract.

Comment

Thank you for replying. It was a deposit to secure a room. They said it was a week's rent in advance. The guarantor form was signed and scanned but we did not sign the tenancy agreement as they said we could bring it with us when moving in (it was very long!). We were served with the document making it a short tenancy (AT5) and that was also signed and scanned. The Tribunal ruled it was not a deposit and then told me: If you wish to claim the £135 paid back either as a deposit or an illegal premium then you require to fill in a separate application under Rule 111 of the Tribunal’s rules for an application for civil proceedings in relation to a private rented tenancy.
        I did this but now they have written quoting legislation saying student lets are exempt. I would be very grateful if you could point me in the direction of the correct procedure to use at the Tribunal - their website is extremely confusing! Thank you again for responding.

Comment

Indeed thank you so much Clestine for tagging ScottishSolicitor - it was much appreciated. Got carried away with the case info and forgot to thank you - thanks for the reminder Tonyhoward!

Comment

I would really need to see all the paperwork to properly advise - the problem here though is that it is such a small amount in relative terms that the effort involved by a solicitor would outweigh what you seek to recover

Comment

Yes I agree of course which is why I wanted to do it myself! I have written back to the Tribunal and said that if the application is incorrect I will agree to withdraw it. I understand I could attempt to claim it back through the simple procedure but to be honest probably won't bother...I will report back with the outcome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X