• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Police search warrant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police search warrant

Hi everyone, new here but have a question that hopefully someone can answer.

A family member recently had a police search warrant served on his house. They were not present during the search but I was passing and seen the activity. I stopped and spoke to the officers and asked them if they had left a copy of the search warrant in the house they advised me that they had not. Once they finished I again asked the question about the copy of the search warrant and was totally ignored but I did get a warning that I was obstructing a police search. Having looked online it seems that they should have left a copy in a prominent place as the occupier was not present. Can I ask if I was correct in asking for a copy of the search warrant to be left in the house?

Forgot to say this is in Scotland.

Thanks.
    Tags: None

A warrant is not always required or necessary to search a premises.

The police are under no obligation or duty to tell a passing member of the public whether there is a warrant or not.

I'm not fully au fait with the different laws and police procedures in Scotland, but in E&W the requirement is to "supply" a copy of the warrant to the occupier or person in charge of the premises. (NB "supply" covers a number of different scenarios.) It's left in a prominent position only if there is no-one available.
    Last edited by Aged William; 24th October 2020, 11:37:AM.

Comment

Thanks Aged William for your reply.

A bit more information, I was not just "a passing member of the public" I was the person who was left in charge of the property. The search of the property had been completed and the officers were on their way back to their vans.

I now have been to the police station and spoke to a sergeant who informed me it was a fiscal search warrant, and as such no copy needed to be left at the scene.

Can anyone tell me if this is correct and also can anyone tell me the difference between a police search warrant and a fiscal search warrant?

Thanks.

Comment

I can't help you with that one, sorry, I've never applied for a Scottish search warrant. Have you tried here:

https://www.askthe.scottish.police.uk
        Last edited by Aged William; 25th October 2020, 22:45:PM.

Comment

Thanks for the link Aged Williams.

Emailed them but they do not know either, have now emailed Police Scotland direct I will await a response from them.

Comment

Thanks. If you could post an update if/when you a definitive answer I, and presumably others, would appreciate it.

Comment

For info reply to my request from PNLD -

Thank you for your enquiry.

Unfortunately we are unable to answer questions of a local operational nature as we are a national database which answers questions of a general legal nature.

You will need to contact Police Scotland directly in relation to this matter, via their online contact form:

https://www.scotland.police.uk/secureforms/contact/

Regards,

PNLD

(EG)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X