• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

wireless extenders

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wireless extenders

Here I go again with yet another problem.

Has anyone ever used a wireless extender (signal booster) as I am having problems with a very low signal

Pc 1 connects by ethernet cable to Bt home hub
    Pc 2 belkin wireless card very low signal

It is not possible for the computer to be moved as there is no where else it can go with regards to space and electrical sockets.( it is doing my head in)

Still have another computer to set up but think I will have the same problem as they will both be situated roughly the same distance away from the hub.

the hub cannot be moved either as this is the only place it can go because of the phone socket ( have had to put in a extension) and power socket.
    Member of the Beagles £2 coin and small change savers clubs, both based in the Debt Forum:11:

Re: wireless extenders

How far away are the other computers?

Are there walls or floors in the way, ie, other pc is upstairs, another room etc

Comment

roughly about 40 feet apart router at one end of old cottage computer at other end, the computer that is set up at the moment is on the same floor but through walls etc other computer will be upstairs but possibly not so far away.

Thanks Pkea
      Last edited by scottishlass; 24th June 2008, 10:52:AM. Reason: spelling was bad lol
      Member of the Beagles £2 coin and small change savers clubs, both based in the Debt Forum:11:

Comment

hi

are the walls stone? should go thro floors pretty easy. do you know what 802 version the router? and card are. should be something like 802b 802g or 802n or possible someother.

Borgbaiter

Comment

This is driving me insane, as I couldn't get a signal at all, I have moved it to the other side of the desk signal still very poor, don't think they are stone walls:tinysmile_hmm_t2:

It is Bt homehub black version not sure of the number
          Network card is belkin wireless G+ desktop card 802.11g

Comment

Ok eck I am about to plump for this system, is it no good? or is there someway you can check it will be ok before you sign up.
            Sorry to jump your thread SL

Comment

Radio propagation is a black art and there could be any number of reasons why the signal is weak.

The first thing I would check out is the home hub itself - is it working properly because it should not have a problem over a distance of 40ft?

You could also try changing the channels in the hub itself. They will usually be set by default to 6 or 11 and changing that might help.

Comment

Don't worry Enaid jump in all you like no problem with one computer, just the one that is connected with wireless, didn't have this problem before.

Thanks Cet having a problem getting into the settings of the homehub it won't accept the default password.will try again.

Comment

trawled the internet yesterday ( when I could actually get on lol) seems I am not the only one having problems.

sometime today I am going to set up my old voyager router and see how that works

Comment

Your voyager should be fine, cos I've tested mine in case of probs and I need a spare. But I do find the home hub isn't as good as the voyager. Next door used to be fine on the voyager, but can't see the new kit. Crap really, cos I've set mine up as a hotspot. Except nobody can use it unless they are inside the house. LOL

Mind you, the house is 2 foot thick granite.

Give's a shout if you have probs configuring the router. Or are your settings the same as before the move?
                    ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
                    In fact, you MIGHT be able to use the voyager as a repeater if needs be. I'll look into it.
                    Last edited by LuggerBugs; 26th June 2008, 19:39:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                    My Blog
                    http://cabotfanclub.wordpress.com

Comment

Thanks Lugger, problem with getting into the configuring the hub won't accept any of the passwords they say the default is admin that don't work, tried the serial number still no joy.

Going to set up the voyager today will let you know how I get on.

Comment

Update

Have tried with the voyager router still no joy.:cry:

Comment

okay after wasting hours faffing about changing routers etc, I decided to go back to the bt home hub ( still can't access the configuration of this) and changed the wireless network card to a bt one and hey presto working, but still very weak signal, but this is the longest it has stayed on.

Comment

Have you tried doing a hard reset of the unit?

1. Push and hold the Wireless Association button (on the back panel) for 15 seconds, until all the lights light up - then release it.
                            2. The reset process may then take several minutes.
                            3. The Hub is reset and ready for use when the Broadband and Internet lights are steady green.

This means you should be able to reconfigure it and go from there.

This style of router with internal patch antennas is becoming increasingly common and the simple truth of the matter is, you cannot beat an external antenna for getting radio signals where you need them. Wireless signals propagating through the air lose strength while encountering natural and manmade obstacles and shoving the antenna inside out of sight might make for a pretty looking box, but it does nothing for its usefulness as a transmitter.

Comment

No I have not tried that.

Once no1 son goes out I will give it a go, thanks

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X