• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Connecting TV/VHS to laptop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting TV/VHS to laptop

I have done the google thing so before you bombard we with links as to how to record VHS to DVD then please don't, lol!

I need to know if it's possible(Well, I know it is), but more importantly is the cables required to do the job as that is the bit that I have not a clue about.

If you have done this before then it would be good to know how you did it rather than spending £200 on a DVD/VHS combi, when a £30.00 cable would do. I have got an audio lead which will connect to the scart at the back of the TV/VHS combi.

To give you an idea of what my tele looks like here is an exact model of tv/chs combi that I have
    bush 14 inch tv vcr combo | eBay
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)
    Tags: None

Re: Connecting TV/VHS to laptop

FWIW, I recently tried to transfer video from a JVC 'mini-DV' camcorder to my laptop, using the 'AV' or 'line' connection, as it doesn't have the 'data' connection that later models have. I found a cheapo unit on ebay (about £10), which transfers the video to USB, and saves it as 'WMV' or other video format files on the laptop.

What I found was that when I played the resultant file back, it was 'jerky' - in that it kept 'freezing' and losing chunks of video. My own theory is that my laptop's CPU runs more slowly than my old desktop - approx 1.5GHz compared to 2.6GHz - and can't keep up with the speed of the data coming in. I haven't tried it on my old desktop yet, though, so it's just my theory.

Not much help, I know, but you may as well know of my own experience in trying this so far. I'll be watching this thread with interest.

Comment

Hubby reckons if your laptop has a HDMI fitting on the laptop it might do it, if not he doesnt think it can be done.

How old is the TV?

He will have a think (yes that is the burning smell)

Comment

I would go for a scart to s video lead. No audio with that though. Not sure if they're still about, but you used to find a guy in indoor markets who used to be able to do all kinds of trickery with pictures/videos.
        If Knowledge is Power . . . . . . .Then I Could Easily Light an L.E.D

Comment

I have a scart lead which will connect audio cables as my Wii was one with the adaptor for skype. The TV/Video combi was bought 9 years ago(yes they do last that long, lol!!!).

Online there was a suggestion of a media cable with an audio out line, but that does not mean anything to me and I couldn't find the kit to do that.
          "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
          (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Will ask The Bloke as soon as he comes home.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X