• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Vertical line appearing on my monitor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vertical line appearing on my monitor

Can anyone tell me what the hell this is.

I have a Sony vaio laptop (around 3yrs old maybe more)
    I've tried updating the drivers and also reloaded XP but nothing seems to work.
    Up until yesterday there was only 4 lines but today i now have 13 lines.
    each line is a solid colour eg white, purple, blue and some other colours i cant see (colour vision impaired)!

I cant play my fav wargames anymore cos the bloody lines are so distracting

Tags: None

Re: Vertical line appearing on my monitor

Originally posted by ben13 View Post

each line is a solid colour eg white, purple, blue and some other colours i cant see (colour vision impaired)!

Any yellows?

Comment

Sorry to say, but it sounds like your Vaio either has a bad connector to your video display (it does happen after a lot of use) or, worse, the display itself is on the way out.

Both can be replaced and repaired, but I wouldn't try it unless you know what you are doing.

Comment

According to my OH no, they're all pinky,bluey,purpley (her words not mine lol)
        ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
        Originally posted by Jester View Post
        Sorry to say, but it sounds like your Vaio either has a bad connector to your video display (it does happen after a lot of use) or, worse, the display itself is on the way out.

Both can be replaced and repaired, but I wouldn't try it unless you know what you are doing.

Well I've replaced alot of pc components as part of my job so hopefully should be ok.
        Last edited by ben13; 3rd January 2011, 16:34:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Turboman View Post
          Any yellows?
          Not a serious question Ben-lol

Comment

Not a serious question Ben-lol
            You do suprise me there turb's lol

But I was having a dumb moment!!

Comment

Another line has just appeared although this one is flashing?!?!?!?!?
              WTF

Comment

Do you have another monitor you can plug in? Most lappies have a monitor outlet socket). If the lines still appear you have faulty graphics module on the motherboard.

If the lines do not appear on the external monitor you have a faulty screen or the screen plug under the keyboard has dislodged slightly and needs re-seating.
                They were out to get me!! But now it's too late!!

Comment

Yesterday morning, I was typing a mesage on chat and looked up all my screen and found it was full of coloured lines.

I could not clear it so I switched off the computer and then on again and it cleared it.

Could this be the start of the monitor going?

Tuttsi

Comment

Originally posted by TUTTSI View Post
                    Yesterday morning, I was typing a mesage on chat and looked up all my screen and found it was full of coloured lines.

I could not clear it so I switched off the computer and then on again and it cleared it.

Could this be the start of the monitor going?

Tuttsi

or Memory ?:lol::lol::lol:

Comment

Originally posted by basa48 View Post
                      Do you have another monitor you can plug in? Most lappies have a monitor outlet socket). If the lines still appear you have faulty graphics module on the motherboard.

If the lines do not appear on the external monitor you have a faulty screen or the screen plug under the keyboard has dislodged slightly and needs re-seating.
                      I do have monitor output. Also have HDMI output on my laptop.
                      Would it be worth connecting HDMI to my tv or should just try the standard vga output? (asking cos i not got a vga lead at the mo)

Comment

It could be my memory

or Memory ?:lol::lol::lol:

Comment

You'll most likely find that the display works perfectly on an external monitor. That's because it uses a completely different port for outputting to the monitor.

Yes Tutts, that may eb the start of your laptop screen going, but fear not as you may yet have quite a bit of life out of it yet before it eventually goes completely.

One of the downsides of a lot of the cheaper laptops on the market is that the screens go after about 3-4 years use !!

Comment

Originally posted by Jester View Post
                            You'll most likely find that the display works perfectly on an external monitor. That's because it uses a completely different port for outputting to the monitor.
                            Different port, but same graphics module. If an external monitor works OK it is either the internal plug/socket for the laptop display that is faulty / unseated or the display panel is faulty.

If the external monitor has lines the graphics module is faulty.
                            They were out to get me!! But now it's too late!!

Comment

thanks for the advice basa. I'll have a play and see what happens.
                              Sadly my laptop's far from a cheapo one. when i got it 4 years ago it was top of the range sony Vaio. I love used to love sony products but I've had nothing but trouble with this thing since it was 18months old I'll not be buying sony again thats for sure

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X