• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

PC Turns itself off

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Turns itself off

wondering if anyone can help, what it is is whenever i play pc games, or try to back up my cd collection the PC will turn itself off within 5 minutes, however if i just browse the `net nothing happens.

the games i try to play are Grand theft auto, stalker and silent hunter (all original games and within the pc`s specs).

My pc has an AMD athlon 64 x2 duel core 5200+, 3gb RAM, Nvidia Gforce 8800 GS.

I have 2 external fans (cleaned) heatsink (cleaned) graphics fan (cleaned)

help please

Re: PC Turns itself off

Are your fans actually switching on? Has the conductive gel/paste on the cpu dried up?
    Only time this has happened to me is on a laptop with a crudded up venting system or dry paste.

Comment

all the fans are switching on, i was actually contemplating getting some new compound for the processor and i think you`ve convinced me ty

will post when i have some

Comment

Have you been able to monitor what temperatures have been doing when you have been doing these CPU/GPU intensive tasks?

Any bios/firmware updates for the MB etc? I vaguely remember an example from way back where faulty temperature reporting on a MB (fixed via a bios update I think) caused incorrect shutdowns. I could be misremembering that though......

Comment

i have no idea how to update the bios lol, have been given a PSU from a friend incase that was the problem, not put it in yet tho.

Comment

Hmmm, got new compound for the heatsink, played GTA and turned itself off, well, the next on the list is a new PSU, failing that according to the break/fix methodology will be a new heatsink lol

Comment

IF ITS A SONY TRY THE FILE CALLED ISBMgr.exe something may be controlling this file to switch off the machine
              ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
              just get a new file of same name and rename the old on
              Last edited by patrickq1; 22nd July 2010, 21:13:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I've just read this whole thread and not understood a word!

Comment

lol not a geek then

Comment

Originally posted by shell View Post
                    I've just read this whole thread and not understood a word!

Exactly what I thought, but then I was going to ask Sol if he'd been downloading mucky films too.

Comment

Ok heres a silly Q, are your fans blowing air into the pc or sucking air out? they should suck out...

Comment

Well actually they should be doing a bit of both, although more suck is better

Comment

You still talking about computers?

Only.............................................. .............,nah, maybe it's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by shell View Post
                            You still talking about computers?

Only.............................................. .............,nah, maybe it's just me.
                            What else could I possibly be talking about

Comment

:noidea::noidea::noidea::noidea::noidea::noidea::n oidea:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X