• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

The case of the disappearing emails

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The case of the disappearing emails

For the second time in as many months, all my emails in BT internet (inbox only) have vanished.
    I know I haven't deleted them, & they're not in 'trash'.
    I have contacted BT - they say that it's not anything which they have done.
    Can anyone suggest possibles? (other than a cyber Bermuda Triangle lol)
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Re: The case of the disappearing emails

Have you gone over your limit?
    I am sure you are only allowed so many, but I maybe wrong lol
    I have Yahoo and it has happened to me I thought that was why.

Comment

Maybe Limitations, Other people in your househild? Maybe sombodys got into your inbox themselfs.
      I Would change password if that was me, just for security and you can then rule that out.

Where they particularly big email size?
      ~Never has PPI refunds been owed to so many...by so few~

Comment

Hi guys (& girls),
        I doubt over limit, as there weren't many (30-ish)
        Also, none of them were particularly big.
        Only my OH knows the password, & has not been into my account. (I have not left it 'open'
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Are they sat in your "deleted" or Binned folder??

Comment

'Spam' & 'trash' both empty.
            Not in 'drafts'.
            I haven't moved them into any other folder. (I haven't checked them all yet - checking 6 or 7 at a time - not found the missing ones yet lol)
            CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Sounds to me as if they've been downloaded from their server to your pc, or at least, to someone's pc.

Is that possible?

Comment

I think they would still sit in the inbox, Ill enquire in work now for you.
                ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
                Have you got a spam filter on your AV? sometimes they spirit emails away to a folder that’s tricky to find.

You get the same with Virus emails, except it won’t let you recover these.
                Last edited by PocketTheDifference; 31st March 2010, 11:12:AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I've had a quick look in the 'usual' places on this laptop (My docs, Home, desktop, bin etc), though I occasionally use another.
                  If it has been downloaded, any idea how to find the needle in the haystack?
                  I would just forget about it, but there is one email which I had not filed away that I would like to retrieve if possible!
                  ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
                  The previous time, I contacted BT.
                  They emailed me some technical info - something to do with the internet provider or somesuch (whooooosh over head!!) - unfortunately it was still in my inbox............
                  Last edited by charitynjw; 31st March 2010, 12:08:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                  CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                  Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                    The previous time, I contacted BT.
                    They emailed me some technical info - something to do with the internet provider or somesuch (whooooosh over head!!) - unfortunately it was still in my inbox............
                    I though BT where your ISP hehe, do you not have that technical Info anymore?, Ill have a look myself see where the computer would save, if you've looked at them im sure they would be in your Temp files, BUT thats not going to help in future, just out of interest, what Browser do you use, i.e firefox, I.E, Opera etc ad what anti Virus. ( i had problems with my emails about 2 years ago using a certain big anti virus, Firewall provider)
                    Last edited by PocketTheDifference; 31st March 2010, 12:46:PM. Reason: Please sombody buy me a dictionary!!

Comment

I though BT where your ISP hehe - I haven't a clue lol - probably some other tech term!! - it has now disappeared along with the other emails. This laptop Linux Xandros - Browser - At moment, Google Chrome.
                      Anti-Virus is licensed by Xandros Corporation. is on the AV license agreement.
                      Other laptop is M/soft XP with Norton AV - also Google Chrome
                      CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                      Phelps, C. C.

Comment

ISP= Internet Server Provider lol! It's a strange situation, Ill look more into it tnight in my own time unless somebody has given you answer in the mean time, (because im don't really know too much about Xandros Corporation...yet...

Not sure without looking into it all, what I can suggest is though to just quick check your anti virus and Firewall settings for emails see if they auto delete after a certain lapse of time.
                        OPB

Comment

Cheers OPB, you're a star!!!
                          CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                          Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Hey CNJW,
                            I wasn't able to do too much last night, but i did speak toa friend who runs a business in the I.T world, anyway he advises that there is possibly something wrong with the POP3 mail server within your ISP so im not sure but general advice is probably to wait and see what happens and ill investigate more sorry i can't be more help as yet

OPB

Comment

Hi Charity,

if they've been downloaded they could they be in Outlook express, because if you ran the install CD for you ISP, it usually sets up a default mail program which is Outlook express to receive your accounts mail ( as this is the mail client included in Windows) Hope this helps.

Have a look in your START button (or programs) for Outlook Express, open it and they may be there in the Inbox.

Lumi x
                              Luminol x

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X