• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Problem with Firefox

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with Firefox

When running, FF seems slow & when I check task manager, CPU is spiking at over 50% every minute or so (compared to Google Chrome, which is <10%)

I do have several add-ons on FF, but can't see any processes which indicate a heavy usage.

Any experts out there??

cnjw :noidea:
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Re: Problem with Firefox

So glad you mentioned this, cause apart from not having a clue I have been having problems with FF.
    Mostly that FF is not responding, so i too would appreciate some help here thanks.
    Enaid x

Comment

What add ons are you using ?
      What sites do you have open ??

Also what's the memory usage like ?
      How much RAM do you have installed and what's the speed of your CPU, connection and Operating system ??

Yes lots of questions but it all helps..

Comment

Hi Cb,

I've been having problems accessing internet all day!

Originally posted by Curlyben View Post
        What add ons are you using ? see note What sites do you have open ?? running FF with only Google search (LB now - I had to post this!) Also what's the memory usage like ? 643M/2441M? How much RAM do you have installed 1 Gb and what's the speed of your CPU, 1.33Ghz connection 54 Mbps and Operating system ?? Windows XP Home Yes lots of questions but it all helps..
        Note: A fair few add-ons, but task mgr doesn't show any 'heavy usage' processes

cnjw

NB: It seems to be behaving itself better this evening (it knows it's being watched!!)
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Do you have the same problem when using Internet Explorer ?

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post

Note: A fair few add-ons, but task mgr doesn't show any 'heavy usage' processes
            This normally is what causes the problem..

Comment

Hi, Jester,

I never use IE (though I think it runs in the background anyway when using Windows)

The kids probably do for Messenger.

cnjw
              CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

Comment

IE only runs if you open it. I was just asking as there are many things that can slow down a browser. As CB suggests, add-ons are one thing that can slow down FF (hence why I choose not to use add-ons). However, if IE is also slow then it would point to something else causing the problem

Comment

Hi Jester,

Blimey, that was a quick response - thanks!!

I haven't got a clue re IT (ask my littl'uns lol)

There are loads of add-ons (not all mine)

FF.exe is >300k memory usage, & 'spikes' at >50% approx 1 min intervals
                  (Google) chrome.exe (several listings on task mngr) combine at <100k, <10% & fairly consistent.

(Sounds good - but :noidea

cnjw
                  CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                  Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Try disabling ALL your add ons and see if that helps..

Tools> Add-ons > Extensions..

I only run 6 extensions and have ZERO problems with site speed..

Comment

Hi Cb/Jester,

I have checked add-ons for compitability with FF, & disabled as suggested.

Norton 360 is installed, but is shown as 'disabled'. ' (Add-on will be enabled when FF is restarted' - but then shows Norton is not compatible with FF.............???)

I have downloaded Panda Cloud AV but not yet installed (would have to uninstall Norton according to the Panda blurb)

Any thoughts?

cnjw

NB: FF not behaving too badly today - almost as fast as you guys lane:
                      CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                      Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Norton 360 is installed
                        BINGO

Norton + XP = World of Hurt !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

what about Malwarebites does that hurt too?

Comment

nope, tis all good.

Comment

Also check in your Task Manager and see if SeaPort.exe is running, if so go to your Program Files\Microsoft\Search Enhancement Pack\SeaPort\ and either delete or rename the seaport.exe file
                              Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X