• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Internet problem can anybody help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet problem can anybody help

We have got Sky Broadband

On Thursday evening we couldn't get online, so phoned Sky who informed me that there was a problem at the exchange and would be back to normal on Friday, and that all we had to do was turn on lappy and everything will be fine.

On Friday it was back, but after a bit of faffing about I had to log in the numbers again that sky give you.

Since then I don't seem to be able to keep the connection, keep getting things like 'can't be found'. For instance just typing this post I have had to log in 7 times and its getting bloody annoying.

Can anyone help and keep it simple please.
    Last edited by Sapphire; 14th November 2009, 16:16:PM.

Re: Internet problem can anybody help

I've got Sky Broadband and I find that I have to reset the router every two days or so otherwise the connection degrades and eventually doesn't work at all. I don't think it is Sky Broadbands fault per se, more that router they use is a cheap pile of crap.

You can reset the router simply by pressing the on/off switch at the back, counting to 10, then switching it back on. It should re-establish a broadband connection in around a minute after being turned on.

Comment

Thanks for the advise Jester I've tried that and although it works for about 5 mins, I keep getting kicked out.
      I get things like 'page load error' or 'document contains no data'.
      Its getting frustrating as I could be halfway though doing something, click save and it all dissappears.

Got any other ideas please Jest or anyone ?

Comment

Come of guys someone must have an idea or two, its that bad I can't have a chat with my friend Nelly on here or on FB.

Comment

Do the router lights show there being a successful broadband connection established ?

If so, then it would point to the Router being faulty if you still cannot get on the internet.

Otherwise, there is an issue with the broadband in your area that BT will have to look into (Until they get to the exchange as Sky have their own equipment in the exchange that they are responsible for).

Comment

Ok thanks for that hun, looks like i'm going to phone them and have a rant. Will report back once I have spoken to one of them.

Comment

It may well be that your laptop and your router are broadcasting on different channels. When you got your router you will have got instructions on how to log onto the router itself, plus a username and password for it. You will need to connect to the router using a network cable.

Once you have logged onto the router there will be lots of different settings (never actually had to configure a Sky router so i don't know exactly where the setting is) you will need to through the settings until you find the one for channel, this is probably set to Auto. Pick any of the channels 1 or 11 tend to be the best ones.

Then go back to your laptop and go to Control panel, System, Device Manager. Locate your the wirless network adapter and double click on it, from the tabs across the top of the window pick Advanced you will get a box with lots of different settings in. Normally the top one is Channel click on this then on the right had side you will have another box where you change the channel, set this to the same as you have just set the router. Reboot the computer this should solve the problem
              Servo Fides

Comment

hi saph, I had this prob a little while ago, basically, when you have an account with bt etc, you are allocated 4 units per household of bandwidth (best way to decribe), every item you have counts as 1 unit, although most houses have 1 unit for their main phone, 1 unit for their 2nd phone, 1 unit for broadband, but interactive tv takes 2 units, under this form most house holds use 5 units, being allocated only 4 causes problems, phone your phone provider and ask them to increase the units (rf gain) allocated, when I did this we never had a cut off problem since.

Comment

Interactive TV being pants, I just unplug me HD box from the telephone socket most of the time anyway SWOS. :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Hmm, I wonder if there would be a market for a remote controlled device that you use to connect and disconnect your sky box from the line as and when required. Got me thinking now.
                  My Blog
                  http://cabotfanclub.wordpress.com

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X