• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Xbox 360 Repair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xbox 360 Repair

Hello all just wondering if anyone has any experience with any xbox 360 repair ideally to do with reflowing the solder joints, bit of a long shot but you never know.

regards

killersla

Re: Xbox 360 Repair

yes - I think my son has - I will ask and come back to you .

does it stop working when it gets hot sometimes and then sometimes start again?
    "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

"Always reach for the moon, if you miss you'll end up among the stars"

Comment

there are alot of problems with the xbox mainley the heak sink on the cpu is too small and it over heats and cold solder joints cause alot of problems i have experience in fixing most errors but not in reflowing the solder joints yet so any info would be great scoobs

Comment

Do you have any experience of using a soldering iron at all killersla?

I regularly resolder cracked/dry joints on circuit boards and if you have used one before it is pretty easy to do.

The main places this happens with most electrical equipment is where the power supply comes in from the jack plug to the circuit board.

9/10 this is easily fixed, but if you are unsure or not used to using a soldering iron then ask your local TV/electrical repair shop to do it for you once you have stripped the xbox to a point the circuit board can be reached.

If you decide to attempt it yourself and need any pointers about soldering then let me know.

What version xbox is it? If it is version 1.0 - 1.1 follow the instructions below

V1.0-1.1 Instructions:
        • 1. Open the Xbox
        • 2. Unscrew, unplug, and remove the plastic hard drive piece with hard drive attached.
        • 3. Unscrew, unplug, and remove the plastic DVD Rom piece with DVD Rom attached.
        • 4. Unscrew, unplug, and remove the power supply from the case.
        • 5. Look closely at the bottom of the power supply. If there are cracks in the solder or burn marks where the solder should be (see picture below), you will most likely be able to repair it.
        • Resolder the areas that are cracked and burnt and it should work perfectly.

Last edited by Tools; 16th June 2009, 00:51:AM.
        Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Thanks for the info tools, i dont really have much experience using soldering irons, the kind of problems i fix with xbox's is 3red lights and e74 errors, i have only recently started this but have a good success rate so far.

From what i understand some errors with the xbox is caused by the motherboard overheating and flexing and causing the solder joints to crack, also a problem is the solder joints becoming cold.

What i mean by saying reflowing the solderjoints is doing the whole board at once ive looked on you tube and some guys put together some rig with a grill and a heating element and attached the motherboard to it to get heat running through all the solder again and it did fix the error but im not so sure id like to give that a try.

I think if it comes to seeing the obvious cracked solder or burnt solder i rekon i could give it a go but doing the whole board is another kettle of fish.

Thanks for the offer of help and the info ill let you know if i give any a try.

Comment

Apparently thats what my son did and he found a web link that gave him the info.

It did work for some time but in the end the problem re-occured and he gave up and bought a new one in the end - as the newer models after a certain date do not have the problem.
            "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

"Always reach for the moon, if you miss you'll end up among the stars"

Comment

I would be very careful attempting to reflow the whole board as it could cause all sorts of problems. If need be, just stick to redoing the obvious bad joints.
              Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X