• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Browser 8

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Browser 8

Have just downloaded Microsofts latest browser (8) with the InPrivate facility. This allows me to browse the internet WITHOUT the sites I visit being able to attach cookies or cross referencing me with other linked sites (at least that's what I understand)

This stops my habits being identified via the sites I visit. At this point let me make it quite clear that ther's now't wrong with the sites I visit it's just the thought of the control freaks prying into what I consider are my private affairs that has made me take this step

Any comments or advice from the experts here will be welcomed

Almost forgot will this defeat Phorm?

Re: Browser 8

lol well I suppose someone has to read Mico$haft's marketing BS.

Firefox has been able to do that for a biggillion years.
    As for Phorm, as this is ISP based it wont work

Comment

Curly I also have Firefox.

Oh I find your comment somewhat insulting. I'm sure there a great deal of non-computer stuff I know which you don't. Difference is were you to ask me a question I would not respond with such a patronising remark - MY advice to you is don't be such a know all smart arse it's not nice

Comment

I wasn't meaning it as an insult at all and I'm truly sorry if I caused offence.

I was merely commenting on MS's attempted marketing of this new product.
        Unfortunately there are alot of underlying issues with IE's security that have yet to be fully addressed and are simply glossed over with seemingly new features.

As for my comment on Phorm, as this is an ISP based solution there really isn't anyway to avoid it, except with some serious adblocking or not subscribing to the "affected" ISP's.

I can relate to your concerns about being monitored online and these can be alleviated by best practice.
        Including deletion of Cookies, cache and history on completion of your browsing sessions coupled with strict controls on what cookies you accept, ie NO third party ones.
        Hence my off hand remark about Firefox.

Yes I can be a smart a$$, arrogant to$$er at times, but I suppose that comes from a heavy dose of megalomania prevalent in the IT industry.
        Again I apologise for any offence.

Comment

Ok I understand
          ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
          Incidentally does Tor not defeat Phorm?
          Last edited by righty; 27th April 2009, 22:46:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Not sure about Tor as I haven;t seen any tests yet, but considering you would still be connected through an "infected" ISP I think unlikely. Would make for some interesting data.

Adblock Plus with ALL subscriptions and removing browsing data on session close will work well, at least for the targeted ads, but not for the data mining itself. Also disallowing third party cookies.
            All in FF of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Curlyben View Post

Yes I can be a smart a$$, arrogant to$$er at times, but I suppose that comes from a heavy dose of megalomania prevalent in the IT industry.

Personally I would say you are confident and self assured.

Comment

The page that opens when I look at Tor shows that amongst other things I can select a number of anonymous ISP's to route my browsing through

Wikileaks use it to hide their sources/links & to generally secure their site

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X