• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Outlook, look out - Gmail goes offline

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook, look out - Gmail goes offline

Announcing offline access in Gmail Labs

With each passing day, the moments when I'm disconnected from the Internet become fewer and fewer. For me, one of the last meaningful barriers began to fall with American Airlines' announcement last year that they would be offering in-flight wi-fi service. Though wi-fi is being offered by more airlines, there are still plenty of flight routes where Internet isn't an option, at least for now. And this poses a problem for those of us who get a lot of our work done online.

So what can you do the next time you're bracing yourself for that long flight? Well, we've been cooking up a feature in Gmail Labs, our testing ground for Gmail features, that should help: offline Gmail. If you enable offline access, Gmail will load in your browser even when you don't have an Internet connection. You can read messages, star, label and archive them, compose new mail and more. Messages ready to be sent will wait in your Outbox until you're online again.

Remember, we're still working out kinks, which means you might see some issues that aren't completely ironed out. But this is a major step along the way. It's built on the Gears platform, which has already been used to offline-enable Google Docs, Google Reader, and a number of other third-party web applications.

So if you're feeling lucky, here's how to get started with offline Gmail:

1. Sign in to Gmail and click 'Settings'.
    2. Click the 'Labs' tab and select 'Enable' next to 'Offline Gmail'.
    3. Click 'Save Changes.'
    4. In the upper righthand corner of your account, next to your username, there will be a new 'Offline' link. Click this link to start the offline synchronization process.

Standard Edition users can follow these instructions immediately, while Premier and Education Edition users will first need their domain admins to enable Gmail Labs from the Google Apps admin control panel.

Watch this overview video of offline Gmail:

Posted by Joyce Sohn, Google Apps Marketing Manager
    Official Google Enterprise Blog: Announcing offline access in Gmail Labs

Re: Outlook, look out - Gmail goes offline

For some reason the spellcheck in my Outlook Express has changed to French and I can't find how to change it back to English.

Also, how do you do a screen shot?

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
      For some reason the spellcheck in my Outlook Express has changed to French and I can't find how to change it back to English.

Also, how do you do a screen shot?

Cheers.

changer + l'écran de caractères, alors la pâte dans un document de mot

Comment

you can use the print screen button for any image on your computer screen then open office word right click and paste and there is your image.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X