• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Legal Use Of Keyloggers in The UK?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal Use Of Keyloggers in The UK?

Hello there,

I am a Computer Science student and I am asking as a part of research for a project I am doing at college.

A) Are keyloggers in the UK legal, if a forensic computer investigator or some kind of law enforcement uses one to gather evidence against a suspected cybercriminal? Or is that a breach of a privacy law even if it is a cybercriminal? Or is law enforcement using one, for ethical purposes an exception? What piece of legislation states this is/isn't legal?

B) What are the legal uses of keyloggers in the UK and the legislation to back this up?

Thanks,

Hello

Yes, the use of keyloggers is lawful in E&W by a limited number of law enforcement agencies, if their use is properly authorised and the product is properly managed.

Depending on the circumstances, and type of keylogger being used, the relevant legislation will be a combination of:

Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000
    (use and conduct of covert surveillance)

Investigatory Powers Act 2016
    (interception of communications)

Police Act 1997
    (property interference / trespass)

Human Rights Act 1998 / ECHR
    Article 6 (fair trial)
    Article 8 (respect for private and family life)

Does your college have a law department which might be able to help you with this?

Good luck with your studies

Comment

Originally posted by Aged William View Post
      Hello

Yes, the use of keyloggers is lawful in E&W by a limited number of law enforcement agencies, if their use is properly authorised and the product is properly managed.

Depending on the circumstances, and type of keylogger being used, the relevant legislation will be a combination of:

Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000
      (use and conduct of covert surveillance)

Investigatory Powers Act 2016
      (interception of communications)

Police Act 1997
      (property interference / trespass)

Human Rights Act 1998 / ECHR
      Article 6 (fair trial)
      Article 8 (respect for private and family life)

Does your college have a law department which might be able to help you with this?

Good luck with your studies
      Hi thanks

I study Law as well, but it's a summer project, and I doubt they'd reply to me over summer. Let's just say I'm more likely to get a reply on here, than I am there lol.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X