• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Broadband speed comparison

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broadband speed comparison

I thought this might be an interesting exercise, should certainly be an eye opener.

Now lets have a look at our broadband speeds.

Firstly post your supplier, service and price per month
    Then throw you info into Samknows ( Samknows Broadband - Broadband Availability Checker )and see what BT thinks is the best speed for your line. BT ADSL tab gives you this.

Then run a speed test and post the result. I'd run this a few times and take and average. ( Namesco BroadbandMax ADSL Broadband Bandwidth speedtest | Test your ADSL Broadband connection speed )

So here's mine.

Supplier: Be
    Service: Unlimited 24 Mbps@£17.50
    BT: 4 Mbps
    Actual Speed: 8790 Kbps (approx 8.6 Mbps)
    Difference: + 4.6 Mbps

So all in all a good service.

Re: Broadband speed comparison

I am Be unlimited aswell same service

BT Link 4mbps
    speed link: 11482kbps

I dont get how to work out if its good or not:o
    Dragging myself and my family back into the light with the help of Beagles.

My Hardship Claim
    Me VS Abbey Win
    BIL HSBC Credit Card
    BIL EGG
    BIL HSBC Loan
    BIL PPI Win

Comment

Well as it's almost 3 times what BT say they'd supply, then I'd say it was excellent.

Comment

Supplier: Virgin
        Service: Unlimited 10mbs
        Actual Speed: 9868 Kbps (approx 9.9 Mbps)
        Difference: nominal.
        Cost: £12 Pcm as part of TV and telephone package, includes virgin PC guard.
        Borrow money from a pessimist -- they don't expect it back.

Comment

hi

Supplier: Talk Talk
          Service: claims to be 8mbps
          BT: 5 Mbps
          Actual Speed: 1700 Kbps download 190kbps upload
          Difference: - far too much
          Cost: free as part of phone package including calls at around £25 per month

not very reliable often drops connection for no reason speed varies wildly.

Comment

BB, that's awful.
            I hope you have complain loud and long about this.

Comment

18th December 2008 20:47 Average Speeds:233 Kbps up 2205 Kbps down

Service provider is Tiscali at 512k

Cost is £20 per month but that also includes line rental for the phone and inclusive calls to landline numbers all day and also international calls to 32 countries.

Comment

Supplier: Sky
                Service: >6 Meg @ £5 on top of TV,Phone package
                BT: 6Mbps
                Actual Speed: Download Speed: 5246 kbps (655.8 KB/sec ) Upload Speed: 348 kbps (43.5 KB/sec )
                Difference: Negligible
                Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

That's from a sync of 19mbit, with BT (Entanet) I was getting 8mbit sync & around 6.5mbit throughput but to be fair that was only ADSL 1 where Be is ADSL 2.
                  Last edited by Oldjools; 19th December 2008, 17:59:PM. Reason: added more info

Comment

The best way to run this comparison is to do 2 throughput figures, one late at night or early in the morning & then another at around 6pm. Some ISP's don't provide enough bandwidth for the number of customers sharing it (some even restrict it at peak times) & in that case you will see a big drop in throughput around 6pm compared to the off peak figure.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X