• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Old puter hard disk data recovery after crash?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old puter hard disk data recovery after crash?

Is there any free programmes on the WWW that I can use. I suspect I will get maybe one chance to do this tonight. Any help will be appreciated in the next hour or so, cos I gotta give up on this puter and switch to my usual one but am not sure if this one will restart when I shut it off because it doesn't.

I hope that makes sense and thanks in advance.

Re: Old puter hard disk data recovery after crash?

Can you just disconnect the harddrive, and plug it into your main box as a slave/secondary one?

I don't know of any free data recovery programs but there are a few out there for 30 quid one off payments etc.

Comment

Ed. I am MR Extremely THick from thicksville. Think of a user talking about suing a bank for bank charges and the case law bit. I am that stage(which means that I know even less than that). What do I do, cos I have no clue?

Comment

lol, you can't be that bad.

Before I ramble completely for hours, does anyone like Tools, know of a simple 'disconnect your harddrive and set up as a slave' guide anywhere on the internet?

Comment

Is there a dummies guide to doing it cos I am worse than a dummy. I am being really serious. Give me someone's bank statements any day or a banking query and I can sort it but my IT is not good with a silent sh in front of IT.

Comment

Hi.. Natweststaffmember, I agree with Ed the cheapest thing would be to connect the drive as a slave. In order to do this you will have to change the pins at the back of the drive from Master to Slave.
            Look at the back of the drive where all the connector pins are, and usually on the left hand side furthest away from the power connectors you should see a recess with 8 or 9 pins in it. Two of the pins may already be shorted (Master)Then look at the top of the drive above the recess and you will see what two pins need to be shorted to make it a Slave drive. You might need tweezers for this?.. just take the little connector pin from the Master pins and put it onto the Slave pins. Then the drive can be connected as a slave and you should be able to access the files.
            I am assuming that your PC can take two hard drives, "IF NOT" then you will need to disconnect your CD/DVD drive and replace it with the slave drive.
            Hope this is of some help to you.

amskint

Comment

or if that is a bit to much to grasp then mabe try this.

the cable that is plugged into your hard drive is called an IDE cable, now this IDE cable goes from your hard drive and into the motherboard your hard drive should be connected at the top of the IDE cable.

Half way down the IDE cable there should be another connector before it goes into the mother board you can unplug your hard drive and then plug it into the middle connector (the slave connector) you shouldnt have to change any of the jumper settings because the pc should reconise that as the slave because of the positing on the IDE cable.

hope that helps.

Comment

Here is a pretty good guide with pictures, I know you like your picture books..lol

Connecting a Slave Drive to your PC - PC Dudes | PC & Notebook Help Forum |

Comment

Does that mean I can recover files and view them? I have kinda reformatted the drive so the old puter works albeit the screen resolution is crap. This puter I am using is fine cos it is a newer one.
                  My main issue is recovering files after having a stop error and reformatting it to make it work. Apologies for crap description of what I wanted to do.
                  There is some things on it that I know ARE pictures but not the sort I would expect to see on THIS site
                  That stuff is NOT what I want to recover albeit, I can delete them. Most programmes online mean PAYING for recovering after stop error. I have a programme that recovers the files but not allows me to actually view the files without paying for some other software.

Comment

What you can do is buy a caddy for the old hard drives.

You pay about £20 for one but can put any same size hard drive into the external holder and use it from your own computer as a storage device.

Comment

Does anyone prefer me to talk ******** to you all? I had a stop error which meant I then put in a microsoft disk which wiped all the data off the system. I know you can recover information so I found a programme. SO for example, if I was a paedophile police can recover deleted files. I'm not but the process is similar. I need a programme that will recover all files and then allow me to view them. At the moment I have a programme that will recover file BUT not let me view those files.
                      I don't understand technical stuff, so slaves means nowt to me in computer context, and doing stuff with wires means even less. I just want to view those files. Once done I can quite happily take a hammer to the system and chuck the thing out. It is a Laptop btw(i try not to be specific on what stuff I got). I hope that might be clearer. Thanks to everyone but I still don't understand what you are talking about on this thread.

Comment

What we were all saying is to add the drive as a slave this would have mean opening a desktop and you contect your hard drive inside the desktop onto a cable that already has your computers other hard drive, you would have moved a very small bit of plastic into s different postion, and you could then have a second real drive when you opened my computer.

This would have meant you could have found al or any info still on the computer.

However it is different on a laptop.

You will need an external caddy.
                        Can you let me know the drive size.
                        You simply connect your hard drive into what is a little box.
                        You close the box and connect it via a usb lead to the computer.
                        Goto my computer and you will see the dive has been added.

Computer Active have this free tool to recover data.
                        http://www.computeractive.co.uk/vnun...covery-toolbox

you can now run it to find what data is left.

Comment

Hi NWSM

Is this the kind of thing you are looking for?
                          Data Recovery PRO :: Recover Formatted Data
                          Member of the Beagles £2 coin and small change savers clubs, both based in the Debt Forum:11:

Comment

hi natwest

have you been using the computer since you reformated? what operating sytem win98 2000 xp vista?

simply attaching it to another comp wont work. not familiar with the above software but i dont think you have much to loose really.

formating is generally permanent and not recomended if theres stuff you need on the drive. too late for you i know, sorry.

Borgbaiter

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X