• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Intruder trying to hack /access our network

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intruder trying to hack /access our network

Hi All !

Please can anyone advise?...

A couple of weeks ago I went and bought a new Mcafee Total Protection disc for our home PC and daughters laptop from PC world, and we have obviously got total protection from viruses,trojans etc..(our trials had expired)

However, I have discovered that an intruder is now trying to hack into our home PC /network.(It doesnt happen on my daughters laptop) It seems they are trying to do this every now and again. Mcafee are sending me pop ups warning me of an intruder. I have 'marked' it as a definate intruder, and not a 'friend'. I have checked and double checked on our network, we only have our home PC (this one) and our daughters laptop connected to network('friend')

How are they getting past our WAP key?

Any suggestions please of how I can stop them altogether? (intruder and pop ups) I know that I may not have anything to worry about, as long as Mcafee are protecting our PC. ( The 'green tick' is always on). I also make a point of doing a full scan on the pooter every 2/3 days

The Mcafee pop ups seem to come up 2/3 times a day now, and its getting to the point where it is now annoying..

Hope I dont sound like a complete thicko ( errm, maybe half of one LOL ) I am deffo not a techy wizard myself. My O/H is up to a certain extent, but even he is baffled lol.

bf xx

Member of the Beagles £2 coin and small change savers clubs, both based in the Debt Forum

Re: Intruder trying to hack /access our network

Is it someone attempting to get access or do they actually get access?

Comment

These Defence suites often wrongly identify traffic as an intruder when it might simply be one of your own programs getting a response, like MSN for example.

What exactly does the warning message say ??

Comment

Originally posted by Amy View Post
        Is it someone attempting to get access or do they actually get access?
        Hi Amy

I guess they are attempting to get access. McAfee just keep saying they are trying to gain access without success,as we are protected.

Originally posted by Curlyben View Post
        These Defence suites often wrongly identify traffic as an intruder when it might simply be one of your own programs getting a response, like MSN for example.

What exactly does the warning message say ??

Hi Curly

The intruder is a computer trying to gain access,as far as we know, not a programme as such (according to Mcafee )

It's saying the name of the computer (Thompson??) and its IP address, and Samba Server (whatever that means lol)

bf xx

Member of the Beagles £2 coin and small change savers clubs, both based in the Debt Forum

Comment

BF, what make is your router and your ISP, as Thompson is a manufacturer ??

Also what IP is it giving ?

Comment

BF, what make is your router and your ISP, as Thompson is a manufacturer ??

Also what IP is it giving ?
            Thompson IP=192.168.1.253...our home computer is a different IP,and my daughters laptop has a different one too...

Arh right ok it makes sense that Thompson is a manufacturer, but the router we have is a BT Homehub. Just had a look on the back of it, and it doesnt say a manufacturer.

bf xx

Comment

BF, as I mentioned, this IS a false positive and it's simply your own router talking to your computer.
              Absolutely NOTHING to worry about !!!!

The 192.168.1.x IP is the give away as they are allocated for domestic use.
              A "hacker" would have a completely IP
              ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
              BF, just out of interest have you installed the HomeHubs network CD as I bet this is the cause of your problems ?
              Last edited by Curlyben; 1st November 2008, 18:17:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Thanks for that Curly !

Ive learnt something this evening, I hadnt gotta a clue about it before..lol

glad its nothin to worry about!

So its our router!!! not an intruder! feel abit of a BIG dimwit now. The reason it got us worried is because we have never seen that before on our puter, it was never shown before we installed Mcafee, and thats why when it popped up we clicked it as an intruder, not friend,(we know different now). We thought, who the hell is 'Thompson'? Thats where the confusion set in. Maybe it should of said 'BT homehub', then I would not of needed to post my question in the first place lol

Seriously, come to think of it, I think im gonna have a word with BT, think they should print the manufacturers name clearly on the back of thier Homehubs. etc, Or else how are we supposed to know? it will help people like me who may have the same silly questions.

Back to normality.. what ever that is lol

bf xx
                BF, just out of interest have you installed the HomeHubs network CD as I bet this is the cause of your problems ?[/quote]

Yes, we installed it when we recieved the Homehub.

bf xx
                Last edited by bloomingflower; 1st November 2008, 18:59:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

That's the problem with these Total Security suites they can, and do, produce alot of false results.
                  Now your HomHub should already be configured with a good hardware firewall which will protect you against hackers.
                  Although there is very little defence against a determined hacker accessing your system.
                  This isn't anything to really worry about as, on the whole, they aren't interested in a domestic connection anyway.

If you want some idea how secure your connection is run this one ALL service ports.
                  Click Proceed, accept the pop-up aand select ALL service ports (top middle)
                  GRC

Normally you would expect a few open ports, unless you have made some adjustments to your router's firewall, as I have.

This is my result:
                  Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single packet — solicited or otherwise — was received from your system as a result of our security probing tests. Your system ignored and refused to reply to repeated Pings (ICMP Echo Requests). From the standpoint of the passing probes of any hacker, this machine does not exist on the Internet. Some questionable personal security systems expose their users by attempting to "counter-probe the prober", thus revealing themselves. But your system wisely remained silent in every way. Very nice.

Comment

Thankyou Curly,you have definately put my mind at rest now after reading your last post..thankyou for the link too !

Arent these Total Protection thingys supposed to make life easy???!!lol

bfxx
                    Hallelujah,this is the result of the test,and its good news !! All Green!
                    its the same as yours Curly! lol What an invaluable link!! will deffo be using it in the future now!

Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single packet — solicited or otherwise — was received from your system as a result of our security probing tests. Your system ignored and refused to reply to repeated Pings (ICMP Echo Requests). From the standpoint of the passing probes of any hacker, this machine does not exist on the Internet. Some questionable personal security systems expose their users by attempting to "counter-probe the prober", thus revealing themselves. But your system wisely remained silent in every way. Very nice.

bf xx
                    Last edited by bloomingflower; 1st November 2008, 19:42:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Thanks bf for posting this as I just had exactly the same problem: Thomson, Samba and a similar IP all trying to access my network.

One question: I can't tell from your posts what TruStealth is or how to access it.

Thanks,

Mookie

Comment

Originally posted by mookie View Post
                        One question: I can't tell from your posts what TruStealth is or how to access it.
                        It is the name of a result not a program, this is the program

If you want some idea how secure your connection is run this one ALL service ports.
                        Click Proceed, accept the pop-up aand select ALL service ports (top middle)
                        GRC

Comment

A "Blue" on Port 113 is OK. It just means your computer wouldn't allow the hacker in, as opposed to completely ignoring the knock on the door. Saying "no" when someone knocks on door 113 just means that the hacker knows now that there is a computer there. He still won't be able to get into it.

Tom
                          I will not provide support by Private Message under any circumstances. This is for your protection and mine. Any advice I give is my own opinion and carries no legal weight. Check it before you use it!
                          Over £1200 claimed in several actions against several organisations.

Comment

you shouldnt really worry about hackers trying to get into your comp via internet providing you have all the usall security, you might want to start to get worried if you see a doggy car sitting outside with an antena on the roof lol.

There is a program called Aircrack-ng which can qwite easily hack into wep routers and with timne wpa aswell all you need is a good dongle and ubuntu and if someone does crack your network key then they can do all kinds of things through open ports sending RAT'S through (remote adminstration tool) but the best way to avoid all this is to just change your network key from time to time.

so just keep a eye out for that doggy car:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Comment

Originally posted by killersla View Post
                              you shouldnt really worry about hackers trying to get into your comp via internet providing you have all the usall security, you might want to start to get worried if you see a doggy car sitting outside with an antena on the roof lol.

There is a program called Aircrack-ng which can qwite easily hack into wep routers and with timne wpa aswell all you need is a good dongle and ubuntu and if someone does crack your network key then they can do all kinds of things through open ports sending RAT'S through (remote adminstration tool) but the best way to avoid all this is to just change your network key from time to time.

so just keep a eye out for that doggy car:tinysmile_twink_t2:
                              There is NO WAY someone can "hack" your WPA key - they can guess it, if it's an easy word like "computer" or "fido123" using a dictionary attack; but if you use "Kg9wto5k@" there is absolutely NO WAY anyone will EVER crack it if it's on WPA. WEP is easy - WPA is not.

So - yes by all means change your WPA key from time to time; but make sure every time you change it, that it's a STRONG key which is NOT based on a word.

Tom
                              I will not provide support by Private Message under any circumstances. This is for your protection and mine. Any advice I give is my own opinion and carries no legal weight. Check it before you use it!
                              Over £1200 claimed in several actions against several organisations.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X