• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

External Hard Drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External Hard Drive

I have a 250GB Western Digital external hard drive. It was working fine until last night, but today neither XP (desktop) nor Vista (laptop) can recognise it. It doesn't appear in Device Manager either, all it says under USBs is "unknown device."

I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it and then we go through the "unknown device" followed by "your device is ready to use." It appears to power up properly and Windows tells me that the drive utilities are up to date yet it cannot be detected.

Any ideas?

Re: External Hard Drive

it maybe that the drivers for this device have been corrupted. try going to the the western digital site and see if there are any needed for it.

Comment

Sorry to say but it could well be a parrot, deceased.
      As this is a USB external drive there are no additional drivers needed.
      The operating system should see and assign a drive letter automatically.

Can you see it in Computer management ?

Start > Control Panel > Admin Tools (you may need to switch to classic mode) > Computer Management > Disk Management.

If your lucky it's simply a case of manually assigning a drive letter, otherwise, well .....

Comment

I was afraid you'd say that.

No, I can't see it anywhere. Is there any way of getting the data off it?

Comment

Is the light on it doing anything? My external hard drive needed extra power to run. I had to buy an external powered USB hub.

Comment

Originally posted by Niklowe View Post
            Is the light on it doing anything? My external hard drive needed extra power to run. I had to buy an external powered USB hub.
            Yes, the light is on and steady. I can feel it whirring if I put my hand on it. So everything seems normal except no computers can see it.

It's plugged straight into the USB ports on the front of the pc, I've tried it in all the ports and it still can't be seen.

Is it likely that it would suddenly need extra power?

Comment

Originally posted by Amy
              Is it likely that it would suddenly need extra power?
              Does it normally need an addition power source ??

Comment

Originally posted by Curlyben View Post
                Does it normally need an addition power source ??
                No it doesn't.

Could it be the lead or am I clutching at straws?

Comment

Well looks like you may well of been to McD's recently.

Have a few of mine..

Comment

pmsl.

Is it possible to get the data off?

Comment

Well if your computers can see the drive then I'm

You could try a data recovery firm, but they cost $$$$

Comment

Reminds me to back up my data now - thanks Tiger

Comment

Bugger. Thank you anyway Curly.

Comment

I got them back! I got it all back.

The Mini-Google that is Cet said he thought it was the USB interface that had failed. So I broke the hard disk out of the casing, pulled the USB interface off, connected it to the desktop using the power supply from the CD Rom drive and hey presto!

They are being copied here there and everywhere I can think of now.

Comment

Result!!
                              Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X