• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help please Curly?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please Curly?

My desktop pc has been running really really slow for god knows how long now, and I also keep getting booted off the internet [keep getting Local Area Connection 2 disabled] intermittantly.....it got so bad, taking ages to open pages, that I bought a laptop!!

I've followed the advice that you posted in Littlesallys thread, downloading CCleaner, to try to resolve the slowness first of all, and wondered if you could check the stuff for start up for me please?

Cheers

PJ x

Re: Help please Curly?

No worries I'll post the results back in a bit.

Comment

Well before I go through that lot, you MUST run your anti-virus and spybot as you have alot of carp on your system.

Once they have cleaned everything out do another screen shot.

Comment

Cheers Curly, I'll have a go when I get home. I thought I'd run it pretty regular before I stopped using it!!

Comment

OMG I set McAfee scanning 2 hours ago, and it's still going [but not found anything yet]!!!!

Comment

Psssst runs faster in Safe Mode.

On boot, just as the Brand splash screen shows hit F8 repeatedly.
            You should then have a text filled screen.
            Select Safe Mode and go from there.

This loads minimal drivers and so speeds up virus scans.
            If you get to the XP loading screen you have missed the F8 prompt.

Comment

daren't risk rebooting to start again now....it takes about half hour just to start up!!! I'll just be patient and leave it overnight if need be lol

Comment

It's finally finished scanning...eventually! and it found 8 threats...so did that ccleaner thing again [just in case] Is it supposed to be different cos it looks to have the same stuff on as last time.

Comment

Did you run Spybot scan as well, as you still have some malware on it ?

Comment

I ran spyware blaster - is that the same thing? Should I download Spybot and run that as well? I'm a bit confused now, cos I was following the thing you posted in Sal's thread, and running antivirus and spybot [which u put a link for] was after the bit where u said to post the start up thing.........I'm ok with computers really, until it comes to fixing problems!!! lol

Comment

No worries.
                      From experience I have found Spybot, and Adaware, to be the best anti-malware apps around. Spybot also "immunizes" your system against any further malware infections.

In this case I suggest running the scans before doing work with CCleaner as there is clearly a malware issue here that would benefit from cleaning before we start hacking about with the start up.

Comment

ok....3rd time lucky!!! Managed to download Spybot..eventually [had a few problems downloading it]....spent all weekend running that, and avg [again, just to make sure!] and just ran Ccleaner again. It is running faster already actually, compared to what it was. Just hope it's worked this time!

Thanks for this CB [sorry to be a pain in the butt! ]

Comment

OK all done.

Now it appears you are running BOTH AVG and McAfee.
                          It's best to only run ONE at a time, so best to uninstall the other.
                          This could be one of the main reasons you are running slowly.

Right everything I have marked up needs deleting, don't bother with disable.

Once you have made these changes rerun the cleaner and reg fixer.

Comment

Originally posted by Curlyben View Post
                            Now it appears you are running BOTH AVG and McAfee.
                            It's best to only run ONE at a time, so best to uninstall the other.
                            This could be one of the main reasons you are running slowly.

I've only had McAfee on since pretty recently, when I installed O2 wireless bb....and I haven't used the desktop since then....its been running slowly for yonks!!

I'll have a go at the above after my bath [or tomorrow depending on how tired I am lol].

Cheers me dears!!

Comment

Done that bit, and I'm up to the patching bit now...but I use Firefox, and when I've clicked on the link it says I must be running IE5 or above - does that mean I need to go back to IE [cos I don't like it! lol], I don't understand the stuff on the Microsoft Download Centre link thats there as an alternative!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X