• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

This Scam Could Cost You Dearly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Scam Could Cost You Dearly

Received this from a friend of mine this morning. He's trying to warn as many people as possible. Text of email below -

Subject: VERY COSTLY NEW AREA CODE

0809 Area Code We actually received a call last week from the 0809 area code. The woman said 'Hey, this is Karen. Sorry I missed you- get back to us quickly.
    I have something important to tell you.' Then she repeated a phone number beginning with 0809. We did not respond, this week, we received the following e-mail:

Do Not DIAL AREA CODE 0809,0284, and 0876 from the UK ...

This one is being distributed all over the UK ... This is pretty scary, especially given the way they try to get you to call.Be sure you read this and pass it on.

They get you to call by telling you that it is information about a family member who has been ill or to tell you someone has been arrested, died, or to let you
    know you have won a wonderful prize, etc..

In each case, you are told to call the 0809 number right away. Since there are so many new area codes these days, people unknowingly return these calls.

If you call from the UK you will apparently be charged a minimum of £1500 per-minute, and you'll also get a long recorded message. The point is, they will try to

keep you on the phone as long as possible to increase the charges.

WHY IT WORKS:

The 0809 area code is located in the Dominican Republic. The charges afterwards can become a real nightmare. That's because you actually DID make the call. If you complain, both your local phone company and

your long distance carrier will not want to get involved and will most likely tell you that they are simply providing the billing for the foreign company.
    You'll end up dealing with a foreign company that argues they have done nothing wrong.

Please forward this entire message to your friends, family and colleagues to help them become aware of this scam.

Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.
    Tags: None

Re: This Scam Could Cost You Dearly

see this link It looks like a hoax.
    http://www.hoax-slayer.com/0809-area...-warning.shtml

Comment

Thank you for flagging that up, Seduraed. I've copied the link and will send to the person who sent the email to me.
      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

These kind of hoaxs are popular, always check them on snopes.com or as seduared has posted hoax-slayer.com but feel free to post them anyway, helps get the message out to people
        Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

There are some that have been passed off as hoaxes then it happens to someone they know. I know of 2 recent ones.

The first was a Microsoft IT call who took control of private computers and turned out to be a fraud. This happened to an older lady in my local newspaper who ended up with all her savings gone because they had installed some kind of key stroke spyware.

The second actually happened to 4 people close to me and who live a few roads away and had me paranoid even now. It involved stickers being placed on windows, doors and anywhere on the front of houses. These stickers can easily be noticed but also easily missed. They were markers that told thieves that a house was well equipped, the owners were out all day/Night, No dog etc. Really scary as 3-4 houses were actually burgled and later the stickers were found the same on each house. SO even though its checked out as a hoax it might be worth as tools says to post anyway.

Comment

Yes it is always better to check your facts before posting authoritative sounding information.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/0809-area...-warning.shtml

"Nevertheless, sharing the false information in the above message will help nobody. If the message comes your way, please do not share it with others. And please let the sender know the message is a hoax"
            Last edited by andy58; 6th April 2014, 10:41:AM.

Comment

If I get a dodgy Email phone call or anything looks dodgy I ignore it Email scams are easiliy checked on google by finding a scam alert site or similar People need to think the worst at all times

Comment

Don't know if this is relevant to anything but my laptop broke last week. I went on Google and contacted a firm who, looking at their website, gave the impression of being an authorised Microsoft repair agent.

After having been on the phone to an 0800 number for about an hour they told me that they had tried everything possible from their end to fix the problem and that I would have to pay £180.00 and they would fix it once I gave them my card details.

Fortunately, I realised just in time, that this was probably a scam and took my laptop to my local dealer who charged £30.00 to fix it.

I don't have a lot of experience with computers and this very nearly cost me money I can't afford to lose.

Comment

Ruthie, we have some very IT knowledgeable people on here too, for free, you can always ask here first
                  Online Scams & IT Issues

Usually it is something simple, but if it can't be solved yourself recommendations can be given as to where to go.
                  Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

Comment

The is one that I have had a few times, where I have received an international call. The caller then goes onto say that they have received a notification that there is a virus present on my PC and they are authorized by Microsoft to remedy it, they then give you the address of a website to log onto. The website enables what I think is called a VPN which allows them to access you PC remotely. They can then proceed to retrieve any information you have regarding bank details etc.

I have reported to trading standards etc, but to be honest they seem to be either powerless or just uninterested.

Comment

Andy and Tools,

Thank you for your messages. This was exactly the situation I found myself in last week and I shall take your very welcome advice.

Many thanks, Ruthie

Comment

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/secur...one-scams.aspx

https://www.getsafeonline.org/blog/s...icrosoft-name/

Comment

Hi,

I have a query and would appreciate any help.

My (soon to be) ex has put a block on certain websites which I occasionally use.

Is there any way that I can gain access to them again without his knowledge? I have no idea of his password and am rather scared what he would do if he found out!

Appreciate this is an unusual question. It's also one of the reasons we are getting divorced!

Many thanks, Ruthie
                          Last edited by ruthie59; 6th April 2014, 16:55:PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X