• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

My son pretended to be me to obtain information

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My son pretended to be me to obtain information

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
    i know this might upset some but gaming online really is a fools game
    I don't think it is our place to make that judgement. The OP enjoys online gaming and is entitled to pursue their interest. Telling them indirectily they're a fool is not particularly helpful. :wink:

Comment

Gambling like alcohol cause so many problems for some people and some families having seen at first hand problems caused by both i can safely say its a fools game like it or not i had stated i could see that in the future we may see something like the PPI reclaim saga

Comment

Suggestions to help rectify this and stop it happening again are:

Contact the company and complain, however they WILL and MUST involve their fraud dept who WILL and to anyone in a call centre's mind MUST contact the police.

or Contact the company and say you have got a pc virus/spyware etc and you need to change all your security details.
        Ask can they reset your security questions and think of something obscure that you will remember... your great aunty Flo's dog's name if need be.

GOOD security questions:
        Who was your favourite teacher?
        What was the name of the street you grew up in?
        Favourite historical person?
        1st record you ever bought?

BAD security questions:
        Mother's maiden name?
        First child's name?
        Your middle name?
        DOB?
        Partner/spouse's name?
        When did england win the world cup? (yes I have had this as a security question!!!)

Some online gaming sites will allow you to change that information yourself, but most will want to talk to you first, and it is worth noting that if you ever have to give your card number over the phone and the advisor repeats it to you (all of it) you can report them as this is a breach of the DPA.

We were allowed to repeat the last 3 numbers (thats the card ending in 123 sir/madam) but would regularly say "I will go quiet when I do this, I'm not allowed to repeat the number but can ask you to repeat it to me!"

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
          Gambling like alcohol cause so many problems for some people and some families having seen at first hand problems caused by both i can safely say its a fools game like it or not i had stated i could see that in the future we may see something like the PPI reclaim saga
          I have a fair amount of first hand experience of both these issues myself, but I wouldn't use my personal family life to publish a judgement on a fellow poster, posting with a different issue. If the OP had wanted advice about the rights or wrongs of gambling they would have asked for that.

Anyway, possibly best left in the past that one.

Comment

This is very interesting Puff - it has always annoyed me the "mother's maiden name" and DOB thing because so many people in your extended family would know the answer - and add in all the people in the office who ask and are aware of the answers to these questions.

Comment

The trouble with security questions is always how difficult should the answer be to remember same applies to passwords i imagine most people would only have one maybe 2 passwords and as few pin numbers i know my password is based on one word sometimes with a upper case letter in sometimes with a number added all my passwords are known to my 3 sons i trust them with them as much as i trust them with my life i have no secrets i need to keep from them or my wife ,
              I often say to my wife all that matters is me her 3 sons 3 gransons and our cat i trust them all

Comment

Originally posted by MissFM View Post
                This is very interesting Puff - it has always annoyed me the "mother's maiden name" and DOB thing because so many people in your extended family would know the answer - and add in all the people in the office who ask and are aware of the answers to these questions.

Legally they cannot say, for example "Miss FM can I take your mothers maiden name?..... Perkins?? Thank you for that.." If they do have a manager listen to the call and demand your security questions changed!

Most places now ask you to set up a security question.. the trick is to think of something totally random!

I knew someone who is sadly no longer with us, who's security question was Where are you from? and the answer was round the bend and back again!

Comment

No doubt the OP here felt the same - not meaning to be a bad fairy but if only life were so simple Wales! x

Comment

Originally posted by puffrose View Post
                    Legally they cannot say, for example "Miss FM can I take your mothers maiden name?..... Perkins?? Thank you for that.." If they do have a manager listen to the call and demand your security questions changed!

Most places now ask you to set up a security question.. the trick is to think of something totally random!

I knew someone who is sadly no longer with us, who's security question was Where are you from? and the answer was round the bend and back again!
                    yes but as Wales says it all get very cumbersome and too clever to remember

Comment

ok to clear this up i am going to post the transcript as i belbe it will be eqsier to decipher.

however i will have to sort hisin the morning as ia m pretty tired. have a look , analyise and i will answer any questiona you have. thanks again for everythibg

Comment

what can they do?

I'm sure people complain about this kind of stuff to them all the time, surely your son is the one you should be talking to

Comment

A few questions before any thought of complaint. Is the online gambling company UK based.? Double check the T&Cs it they may find the laws which they claim to abide. If they are not UK based then you may find it a bit of a problem, even so there is no harm requesting their complaint procedure and following that through, you never know they may even apologise. I agree that you must consider that it might implicate your son in any possible legal action or complaint and in the end it is a choice that only you can make and I do not envy the decision.
                          I am not a legal professional

I will only comment and give advice in situations which I have experience that has been gained over the years in pre legal negotiation and redress. At the end of the day when there is a legal situation of life changing or serious consequence, always and I mean always seek professional advice from a solicitor.

Comment

Can I just point out there was a 10 month gap in posts up until two posts ago. I suspect this issue is a dead duck now. :beagle:

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
                              Can I just point out there was a 10 month gap in posts up until two posts ago. I suspect this issue is a dead duck now. :beagle:
                              I saw it seemed to be OOD but I have had experience with International complaints that can take months to get into a position of clarity. What can actually be done etc. What I stated a lot of people miss from the outset and it can be a hurdle and or stumbling block. When you have worked out your rights or lack of them, that's when you either commit or walk away. Amazon EU including UK for instance, don't outright tell you about which compliance laws they abide to, they just refer you to their T&Cs. Something else, these Luxembourg laws are published in French, although it can be found in Luxembourgish and German (Trilingual Country) . Ironically french is the international language of diplomacy but it doesn't help you if you live in Bolton and have never taught to speak or read French. Incidentally, the US Library of Congress (law) is a good resource for free translated guides international and specific country/principality/protectorate laws and legislation. http://www.loc.gov/law/ Hope it is of use

This is a major problem with international online retail and gambling sites. Apart from the tax implications, the jurisdiction issue makes it difficult, if not very expensive for individuals to make case against them when something serious happens. However, in saying that many are reasonable enough as they do not wish the spotlight to be turned onto their financial and tax arrangements. In the end, check every online company out, especially the laws and registration to which they abide. Being based outside the UK can mean many things and some are not too pretty!
                              I am not a legal professional

I will only comment and give advice in situations which I have experience that has been gained over the years in pre legal negotiation and redress. At the end of the day when there is a legal situation of life changing or serious consequence, always and I mean always seek professional advice from a solicitor.

Comment

How old is your son?
                                and what a situation!
                                I cannot imagine anyone wanting to get their child into difficulties re: the law!
                                Wouldn't it be for the best if, you handled the breach in-house; within your own family?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X