• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Potential fraud

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential fraud

Here goes (deep breath)

A friend (not much of one) asked me if he could pay a cheque into my account made out to me (for work he had done) and I get the cash out for him. I said no problem but as a Natwest bank was closer to me I actually paid it into my parents joint account (my dad and I have the same name) and then transferred it to mine to withdraw the cash out of.

A few weeks later he said the job had got bigger and he needed to buy materials in cash so could he transfer some money into the same account and I again get the cash out for him. I agreed again.

After this is when things got complicated as money kept being transferred into the account for me to get out even after i’d said no more transfers. Every time it was for stuff on the big job he was on. I assumed the money was coming from his boss and it went on for a while.

Then last week the bank called me asking where it had come from so I told them all I knew and they said the person who had been transferring the money (and paid the cheque) was actually someone who was having work done on their house. They’ve since discovered a lot of the work done was not required and so they have been scammed.

The bank have accepted everything me and my dad have told them and re-opened my account but my own bank Co-Operative (where the money was sent to from my parents) have closed my account down. As have Chase bank. I currently only have a Barclays and yesterday they put a lock on it because a friend of mine had transferred me money for a hotel I paid for him. They also locked the account the money was sent from.

I believe the person who believes they’ve been scammed is getting the police involved and I have absolutely no idea what to do. I feel awful that someone may have been conned and I unwittingly facilitated it. I was naive and am now desperately worried I’ve got me and more importantly my parents into legal trouble.

Any advice on what steps I should take is much appreciated.
    Tags: None

You have just described an arrangement that looks like money laundering.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

If that’s the case I will need legal advice asap?

My girlfriends in process of buying a new house I’m not on the mortgage but am listed as someone living on the property. Will she be affected in any way?

Comment

It is possible that association with you may affect your girlfriend's mortgage application.

Please note that "possible" does not mean "certain".
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Her mortgage was approved it was only when visiting the conveyancer that my name was entered onto the papers

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X