• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Scam phone calls

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scam phone calls

How do scammers get hold of ex directory numbers ?

What have people found to be the best way to block them ?

Thanks
    Tags: None

I have phone where the person ringing has to leave their name and I decide if I wish to take the call. Don't think I have had a scam call since! Obviously puts them off....

Comment

Thanks for prompt, helpful reply. Is that with certain phones or the provider ? I'm with BT.

Comment

They just random dial the numbers.

I think that require a name is a function of the provider, BT has it, but you can get phones that reject calls not in your personal directory or are number withheld

Comment

Have a look at the BT8500 phones

Comment

That's the one. I can set my phone to reject number withheld and international call. The phone doesn't ring but allows the caller to leave a message and the screen lists a blocked call

Comment

Just gone on Amazon. Ordered. Thanks all.

Comment

Yes mine is a phone made by BT - BT4600 - I can allow numbers of people I know and just answer as normal. Any "new" number they have to speak and record who they are and then it rings and I get the message "you have a call from ......... to accept this call press 1" It is a function of the phone not BT. Came from Argos!

Comment

I love scam calls as I believe myself entitled to take a break from reading dense legislation

If they say they are from BT's technical department I rant about "our" IT department being useless, for ages, ending with "I've had enough of this - I'm going home." Sometimes, the my personal alarm goes off, right next to the receiver and I beg them to call the fire brigade. Other times, I treat them as if they want to buy my goat. The scenarios go on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by efpom View Post
                    I love scam calls as I believe myself entitled to take a break from reading dense legislation

If they say they are from BT's technical department I rant about "our" IT department being useless, for ages, ending with "I've had enough of this - I'm going home." Sometimes, the my personal alarm goes off, right next to the receiver and I beg them to call the fire brigade. Other times, I treat them as if they want to buy my goat. The scenarios go on and on.
                    I tend go agree with you, if you are annoying them the cannot be scamming someone else. Best I've done so far is 45 minutes and then a lot of swearing and cussing at the other end before they hung up

Comment

I normally receive them on the cell phone, the call goes like this "Can you spare a few mins to answer a question? "I am polite in replying, They ask "what is your age please ? are you 20 to 30 and so on, I always reply, "yes I just had my Birthday I am now 92." Very rude of them as they hang up straight away.

Comment

You can always lead them on and towards the end tell them "I'll just get my carer".

Comment

you shoudn't just register on a lot of "scam" websites that will sell you base for some cash for this scammers

Comment

Read the previous posts

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X