• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Sending Whatsapp Message stating "I feel stupid" after Workplace accident

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sending Whatsapp Message stating "I feel stupid" after Workplace accident

Hi All,

Would sending a WhatsApp message stating that "I feel stupid" after a workplace accident, be viewed as admitting liability in any way?

Also, can factors be taken into account when considering the text message - such as being on pain medication, emotional state, severity of the injury, trauma after the event etc.

How would this potentially be viewed in court when trying to fight a personal injury claim?

SaxonOak.
    Tags: None

Hi SAXONOAK

You really need to provide more details.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
      Hi SAXONOAK

You really need to provide more details.
      Hi ECHAT11,

Thanks for the reply - I am caught between not going into too much detail as it is an ongoing case but also trying to provide enough to get some advice.

Basically I was struck by a vehicle on a construction site and in the aftermath - while lying in hospital, in pain and heavily medicated - I sent a Whatsapp message to my employer stating that "I feel so stupid". I don't even remember sending it, such was my state at the time.

My question is whether this would be automatically viewed as some sort of admission of liability - or whether my mental state and medication at the time would be taken into account as I do not even remember sending it.

SO

Comment

'I feel so stupid' could have lots of different meanings even in the context of 'being struck by a vehicle on a construction site'.

'You feel stupid that an ambulance was called (I don't know if one was)', 'you feel so stupid that it happened', 'I feel so stupid because of the fuss' etc.

Celestine Can you take a look and advise, many thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
          'I feel so stupid' could have lots of different meanings even in the context of 'being struck by a vehicle on a construction site'.

'You feel stupid that an ambulance was called (I don't know if one was)', 'you feel so stupid that it happened', 'I feel so stupid because of the fuss' etc.

Celestine Can you take a look and advise, many thanks.
          Thanks for the reply once again. The "I feel so stupid" was definitely not directed towards anything in particular in the message.

Do you think the medication / trauma have any bearing on it? My injuries were pretty severe and I do not consider myself to have been "all together" at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by SaxonOak View Post

Thanks for the reply once again. The "I feel so stupid" was definitely not directed towards anything in particular in the message.

Do you think the medication / trauma have any bearing on it? My injuries were pretty severe and I do not consider myself to have been "all together" at the time.
            It's possible, wait for Celestine to add advice / comment.

Comment

The opponent will try to use this phrase to suggest liability, but that certainly does not mean that is how it will be interpreted by a Judge. Are you represented by good solicitors? During your claim, they will produce witness statements on your behalf which will robustly explain your state of mind after the accident, the medication, the injuries/shock as factors to consider whether the message is relevant or not.
              In any workplace accident such as this, your conduct before the accident IS important however. Did you follow rules and instructions? Did your employer provide adequate training and make adjustments to the workplace to ensure H&S was important? These are the factors that influence % liability and it is possible to win such a case, but get a slightly reduced award to reflect factors of your own behaviour that may have contributed.
              "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Celestine,

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply. I greatly appreciate the time and effort.

I feel like my solicitor has thrown in the towel due to the text message, as he is strongly advising me to go for a settlement - which is well below what I find acceptable considering my experience.

I am now faced with the difficult decision on whether to go to court (knowing that my solicitor has essentially given up on me) or whether to just go for a settlement, which is well below what I want to accept.

Would changing solicitor at this late stage (given the above) be a terrible decision or could there be some benefit to this?

SO

Comment

That is concerning that your solicitor has 'thrown in the towel so easily. I suspect the very limited fees available for such claims through the PI 'portal' may be influencing his decision. It is difficult to recover decent costs with such claims and the whole system is designed to encourage early resolution, it does not tackle lower value claims that have any complexity.
                  Overall, have a really sensible think on settlement. It's hard when you've been given a tempting figure to then get fobbed off with something far lower. Only you and your health needs can dictate what is fair and reasonable.
                  You could try talking to a couple of other firms, just to get an opinion at least but don't be surprised if you encounter reluctance to take on someone else's unfinished work.
                  "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X