• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

New car issues, lights condensing, dealer can't fix

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New car issues, lights condensing, dealer can't fix

Hi there.
    I have had issues with front light units of a new cayman I bought 5 months ago. The lights keep condensing up on the inside of the lens whenever they were switched on in cold/wet weather. The dealers replaced both units under warranty however the new set still did it. The took the car in (had it for 2 1/2 weeks), resealed the units and tested them....still the same thing. They then tried another cayman they had in stock and it did it also. After consulting with their HQ, their official stance is that whilst they agree there is moisture ingress/condensation, they don't see it as a fault....however they are willing to compensate my for my troubles with some add-ons for the vehicle.

The light units are not 100% sealed as such, there is a vent to allow them to 'breath', so it seems pretty obvious that the moisture is coming from the outside air itself.

The issue I have is that when its particularly bad, it scatters the beam of the headlights in all sorts of directions....once I got pulled by the cops who 'had a friendly word' with me and on many occasions I got flashes from other drivers who I imagine assumed I had my main beam on. Whilst it rarely gets this bad, I have lost confidence in the car, i think its borderline road unworthy in certain situations and don't know what to do next.

I have researched 'rejection', however I have no evidence to prove that they are unfit for purpose/illegal other than the numerous photos I have sent them.

Any advice appreciated.
    Cheers
    Attached Files
    Tags: None

Re: New car issues, lights condensing, dealer can't fix

Hi and welcome

The dealers might not see it as a fault but....
    1989 Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations requires Part 111 section 23 (1) No person shall use..... on a road a vehicle unless every lamp ...... is.........clean"
    I would argue that if the lamp suffers condensation to the point of scattering light it is not clean.
    Besides annoying other road users you stand a good chance of being pulled by the boys in blue.
    As it is a fault with the design of the vehicle you could possibly reject it, but see what others have to say

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X