• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Sold car on finance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sold car on finance

Hello people I'm looking for some advice, I recently sold a car that had outstanding finance in my name on it, (wrong I know) after a week the buyer called me and asked me was it on finance I told him the truth and offered him his £ back. At the time I only had half of it which was £2k but I transferred that over to him and gave him a promise date for the other half while he kept hold of the car unused in the meantime. I've now found out tonight that while the car has been in his possession somebody has crashed into the car while it's been stationery and wrote the car off. He tells me the person that hit it was polish had been drink driving and had no insurance. Apparently he and the drink driver came to an agreement that £2500 would be paid in return for the car and silence from the police. As it stands I owe 14 months finance on this car and the fella I sold it to originally is claiming that the £2500 he has received is his from the original debt!! Can he do this? What rights do I have legally? What rights does he have if I was to contact the police?
    Tags: None

Re: Sold car on finance

Hi Chris,

Moved your post to a more suitable thread.

If the car was on a public highway then it should have been insured by the keeper at the time. If not, he is also liable to prosecution for that as well as aiding and abetting a drunk driver.

I suggest if you make him aware of these facts he will realise he has no legal rights and will soon stop contacting you.

If you take the car back I think you are opening a huge can of worms for yourself, cut your losses and walk away. Do however keep up the remaining repayments as if not it may have dire consequences for you later on.

You may be 2K down, but that is a small price to pay in these circumstances.
    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Is he still asking for money off you?
      Ask for proof the car has been written off, pictures etc - just in case there's a scam in here somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris4 View Post
        Hello people I'm looking for some advice, I recently sold a car that had outstanding finance in my name on it, (wrong I know) after a week the buyer called me and asked me was it on finance I told him the truth and offered him his £ back. At the time I only had half of it which was £2k but I transferred that over to him and gave him a promise date for the other half while he kept hold of the car unused in the meantime. I've now found out tonight that while the car has been in his possession somebody has crashed into the car while it's been stationery and wrote the car off. He tells me the person that hit it was polish had been drink driving and had no insurance. Apparently he and the drink driver came to an agreement that £2500 would be paid in return for the car and silence from the police. As it stands I owe 14 months finance on this car and the fella I sold it to originally is claiming that the £2500 he has received is his from the original debt!! Can he do this? What rights do I have legally? What rights does he have if I was to contact the police?
        Was the motor car still insured in your name at the time of the alleged crash?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris4 View Post
          What rights does he have if I was to contact the police?
          Go ahead. Make my day.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X