• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

VEAS clamped my vehicle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VEAS clamped my vehicle

hello!

I am a motor trader and recently had one of my vehicles clamped.

the car was unlicensed and parked on private property.

i paid the £100 and taxed the vehicle to get the clamp released asap.

so i now have 2 issues to deal with, 1. the £100 for releasing the clamp. And 2. the dvla are saying i have committed an offence.

i wrote to the dvla, saying i am a motor trader therefore i am not required to declare a sorn, and also sent them the title plan of the premises showing where the vehicle was parked.

this was there response:

where shall i go now!? it clearly states on the sorn form:

and who do i claim the clamp release fee back from?

also can i claim for the day i had to take off work due to this?
    Tags: None

Re: VEAS clamped my vehicle

Originally posted by b4076 View Post
    can i claim for the day i had to take off work due to this?
    Almost certainly not, as you would not be able to prove you had lost any sale(s) as a result.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
      Almost certainly not, as you would not be able to prove you had lost any sale(s) as a result.
      ok, well i wasnt overly worried over this, was only a query, surely i can expect them to pay for the fuel costs to drive to dvla office to show them the tax disc before they would remove the clamp though?

Comment

As that was done because you needed the clamp to be removed quickly (and apparently lacked the ability to dismantle the vehicle enough to do it yourself) rather than sometime later when it suited the goon from the DVLA, it is not likely you'd be able to claim any expenses.

Comment

VEAS are a menace. Being part of Capita, that doesn't surprise me. It is pretty clear that DVLA don't know the law they are claiming you have breached. I have no doubt that if they tried to take this to court, they would take a hiding. Putting it simply, what grounds do they have for alleging you have committed an offence? None. What grounds do they have for demanding you pay a fine? None whatsoever. This is not the first time the vermin from VEAS have bungled - they have form for it - and I doubt it will be the last.
          Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

well i think all i can do is send them a copy of there own SORN application form and highlight that bit on it? lol

i was all up for removing it! (they put it round the shock absorber but that is only 1 bolt...) but my trading partner disagreed.

Comment

Should have removed it and sent it away

Comment

I would be inclined to request a refund of -

£100 road tax you were forced to purchased unnecessarily;
                £100 clamping fee which VEAS/DVLA were not entitled to charge or demand;
                Fuel costs for the round-trip to DVLA at Swansea

due to the incompetence of their contractor, VEAS, and DVLA staff.

Was the private land where VEAS clamped the vehicle your place of business? If it is, both VEAS and DVLA are, IMHO, on unsafe ground, in the legal sense.

Comment

Do I need to write seperatly to veas about the clamping charge?

The land is seperate to my premises, it is owned (currently not in use and for sale) by my landlord, his given me land registry document showing it is privately owned now so i can send them a copy

Comment

I'm sure they must be committing some offence here demanding money to which they are not entitled. For a motorist, ignorance of the law is no excuse; I see no reason why this should not apply equally to the DVLA.

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
                      I'm sure they must be committing some offence here demanding money to which they are not entitled. Technically, you are correct, Labman. Trying to get them to admit it is another matter. Sending them a copy of relevant legislation and pointing out an offence is often more effective as if they try and quote other legislation to extricate themselves, all they are likely to succeed in doing is diggng an even bigger hole for themselves.

For a motorist, ignorance of the law is no excuse; I see no reason why this should not apply equally to the DVLA. It does apply to them. They have no Crown immunity.
                      @@@@

Comment

I'm sure they must be committing some offence here demanding money to which they are not entitled. Technically, you are correct, Labman. Trying to get them to admit it is another matter. Sending them a copy of relevant legislation and pointing out an offence is often more effective as if they try and quote other legislation to extricate themselves, all they are likely to succeed in doing is diggng an even bigger hole for themselves.

For a motorist, ignorance of the law is no excuse; I see no reason why this should not apply equally to the DVLA. It does apply to them. They have no Crown immunity.

It makes a change for you to be saying that to me for once!

Comment

It makes a change for you to be saying that to me for once!

I speak from experience of investigating crime involving civil servants, Labman. Government departments will often make statements which are, in essence, complete and total BS. However, when you confront them with the law and, metaphorically, pull the chair out from under them, they fall flat on their arses.

If you read the Fraud Act 2006, you will find that it contains the reference "...whether as to fact or as to law". In practice, this means that if a person makes a false statement as to a matter of law, whether they do so deliberately or recklessly, and subject to other factors involved, they potentially commit an offence.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
                            I speak from experience of investigating crime involving civil servants, Labman. Government departments will often make statements which are, in essence, complete and total BS. However, when you confront them with the law and, metaphorically, pull the chair out from under them, they fall flat on their arses.

If you read the Fraud Act 2006, you will find that it contains the reference "...whether as to fact or as to law". In practice, this means that if a person makes a false statement as to a matter of law, whether they do so deliberately or recklessly, and subject to other factors involved, they potentially commit an offence.

I'm not sure your interpretation of that is accurate. I believe it has to be deliberate. The actual wording in the Act is as follows:

(2) A representation is false if—
                            (a) it is untrue or misleading,
                            and
                            (b) the person making it knows that it is, or might be, untrue or misleading.

(3) “Representation” means any representation
                            as to fact or law, including a
                            representation as to the state of mind of—
                            (a) the person making the representation, or
                            (b) any other person.

(4) A representation may be express or implied.

To my mind, the key word there is 'and' as highlighted in red, so the person making the statement knows it might be untrue or misleading. There's nothing reckless about it.

Comment

I'm not sure your interpretation of that is accurate. I believe it has to be deliberate. The actual wording in the Act is as follows:

(2) A representation is false if—
                              (a) it is untrue or misleading,
                              and
                              (b) the person making it knows that it is, or might be, untrue or misleading.

(3) “Representation” means any representation
                              as to fact or law, including a
                              representation as to the state of mind of—
                              (a) the person making the representation, or
                              (b) any other person.

(4) A representation may be express or implied.

To my mind, the key word there is 'and' as highlighted in red, so the person making the statement knows it might be untrue or misleading. There's nothing reckless about it.
                              .......or might be....!

This could well raise the subject of recklessness.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedicti...m/recklessness
                              CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                              Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                              gets his brain a-going.
                              Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                              The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X