• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car and MOT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car and MOT

Can the car fail on the basis that the rear window washer tube is either blocked or split?

If yes, roughly how much should it cost to fix?
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)
    Tags: None

Re: Car and MOT

Only the front windscreen wipers and washers are covered by the MOT, so in theory should not fail on that basis

Comment

No, it won't fail on that. My last car was missing the rear wiper and the washer didn't work - sailed through every MOT!

As a tip to everyone else, if your car is coming up for MOT make sure you check everything you can yourself before it goes in. There is nothing on an MOT that can't be repaired with some (not loads of) mechanical knowledge.

Also, if you have your car serviced at a main dealer, make sure you fill up the windscreen washer bootle to the brim before it goes in for servicing. I bet when you look at the invoice they'll have billed you £3 odd for windscreen wash! Common main dealer trick!

Comment

Leclerc - a handy trick if you can get to the tube. Open the boot and see if you can locate the rear washer tube. Normally it's obvious where the leak is.

Now the fun bit, pretend your a kid and go and buy a swizzler lollipop, eat the lolly and wash the stick.

Cut the tube either side of the leak and place stick inside (should fit perfectly)

Job done.

I've done this on three cars I can think of and has always worked perfectly - problem solved for 15-20p.

Comment

Don't you know anyone who has a garage and whom you can trust ?

Whenever any of my cars are due for an MOT, I take them down to my mate's garage. He takes it to the MOT testing centre who then tell him what needs to be done on the car. He then does the work (after confirming with me that it is OK to proceed with the work) before they issue the MOT. Far easier and means that the MOT is only ever needed to be done once !!

Comment

There are a lot of us who don't Jester - and we are at the mercy of the rip-off garages.

Comment

Originally posted by The Debt Star View Post
              There are a lot of us who don't Jester - and we are at the mercy of the rip-off garages.
              You'd be surprised at who you know. I encounter mechanics all of the time without realising they are mechanics at first. Surprising what a bit of networking can uncover. There is always someone down the pub who is (or knows) a reputable mechanic !!

Comment

Thats true enough, there's nowt stopping anyone from asking for a recommendation.

Personally I avoid those MOT in 20 Minutes Drive Thru type outfits. I needed a tyre replacing on one MOT and the burgers only took my car away to another company to fit while I was waiting by their coffee machine for 2 hours. Not a recommendation, more of an avoid at all costs suggestion.

Comment

I always have mine MOT'd by a bloke who services and MOT's all the council ambulances (so they need to be done properly). Fortunately 99% of any work on the car I do myself, at least I know it's done properly then. Most stuff is very easy and straightforward. A basic service - oil change, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter - quick check over everything to make sure all's OK only takes 45 minutes or so and costs for my Audi about £20. Motorhome a bit more as it has a very weird oil filter and two fuel filters, but still only around £30ish.

Comment

re Car MOT,
                    Have you a 'motmax.co.uk' near to you??
                    No pass no pay - I know we have all heard this before but.......'Initial test fee is to be paid upon MOT pass - including the re tested vehicle if not passed on first inspection' - No re test fee is charged - £30.00
                    Mine failed on three things, at least they were listed and went to the local garage with JUST these to be done and got a quote first....so no 'blind faith'.....

Found the system works!!

Comment

Never heard of it, but sounds good.

Comment

MOTMax - Unbiased MOT Testing - Real-time, Online MOT Booking
                        The above is motmax website, and it would almost cost me as much to get it to an motmax test centre than anywhere else.

I don't know a mechanic, I know where the leak is. I am trying to hedge my bets on how much it might cost to fix if something fails. I hope it sails through but I doubt it(which I normally do....last year it sailed through).

I don't trust Kwik Fit whatsoever and the nearest garage that would do a service at a reasonable price is them. They will NEVER touch my car again.
                        "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                        (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X