• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car garage faulty repair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car garage faulty repair

I am seeking some advice regarding a tyre change I had done at a reputable car garage, I had done around 5 months back.

I went to get the front break pads changed a few days ago and whilst I was waiting after only a couple of mins the guy comes over and explains the locking wheel bolt has been snapped and is trapped inside the locking wheel nut. They had to spend over and hour extra to remove the broken bolt and then change the rest of the locking wheel bolts and issue me a new locking wheel nut.

I took this up with the the last person to use this which was the tyre change in September and made a complaint.

My issue is, they have obviously done it up so tight and it's snapped off and cracked the bolt on both sides.
    The garage that rectified this issue said all the bolts were done up way too tight.

When I collected the vehicle after the tyre change over 5 months ago they didn't tell me this and allowed me to drive this around, knowing it had 1 bolt broken and in the event I had a puncture would not be able to change it. Let alone that it renders the car unsafe and could have caused an accident.

The garage is admitting fault and offered to pay for the extra work I had to get done.
    My personal opinion is that is not good enough and I'm seeking some legal understanding around this issue as to me I would consider they have broken some kind of law here?

​​​​​​
    Tags: None

Hi BCJ20

Welcome to LB

You are covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...t-aKJYx8n5KiSl

You can contact Trading Standards via CAB regards any Health & Safety Issues.

How did you pay?

Are you looking for a 'gesture of goodwill'?
    And the return of what you paid.

Comment

What are you looking for?

Missing one bolt out of four is not normally considered dangerous, although over time it may cause accelerated bearing wear due to uneven loading.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
        What are you looking for?

Missing one bolt out of four is not normally considered dangerous, although over time it may cause accelerated bearing wear due to uneven loading.
        Des. Hate to disagree, but missing one bolt is dangerous, suppose there was an accident, Insurance would blame the driver for lack of maintenance

Comment

Des I would love to be your mechanic

Thanks for the other posts.
          ​​​​​
          I've spoken to the operations manager today and he agrees it is totally unacceptable and has offered to cover the costs and refund me for the original work done. I accepted this and the matter is now resolved.

Comment

All i'd say is that, even if this was 'minor', what about other work that they've carried out, that to could be 'hazardous'. Report it to Trading Standards, they will already have info on the location, if there has been other complaints. To be honest, I know more about 'football', then I do about 'cars'.

Comment

That's good, at least they've been responsive.

Comment

MOT manual 5.2.1
                (a) A wheel:

(i) with a loose or missing wheel nut, bolt or stud
                (ii) with more than one loose or missing wheel nut, bolt or stud

Major
                Dangerous
                So one missing wheel nut is a major fault, two is dangerous

I stand by what I posted

Comment

Never said it was "minor", and certainly not recommended,
                  Mind you, I'd hate to lose a nut from my wheels as I'd the be driving a three wheeler

Looks like this

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                    Never said it was "minor", and certainly not recommended,
                    Mind you, I'd hate to lose a nut from my wheels as I'd the be driving a three wheeler

Looks like this
                    I was going to mention Reliant Robin earlier. That looks pretty neat.

Comment

It's concerning to hear about your recent experience with the tyre change and subsequent issues with the locking wheel bolt. The fact that the garage didn't inform you about the broken bolt after the tyre change raises serious safety concerns. While the garage has admitted fault and offered to cover the additional expenses, it's understandable that you're seeking further clarification on potential legal implications. Consulting with a legal professional would be a prudent step to understand your rights and options in this matter, ensuring your safety and peace of mind moving forward.

Comment

TingxoGamchu Please don’t take offence at my question but are you an AI bot?

Comment

TING's post does read like an answer you get on Bing Copilot
                          There has been a few similar posts under car problems lately

Comment

Originally posted by Huxie View Post
                            TingxoGamchu Please don’t take offence at my question but are you an AI bot?
                            If it's AI, do you expect an answer?

Comment

TING didn't ask a question. Just advised OP to consult a legal professional. TING can't think much of legal advice on this website then

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X