• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bought a used car, found out it has outstanding finance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a used car, found out it has outstanding finance

As the title says, went with my partner over the weekend and bought a used car advertised on Facebook market place. Sent the reg to a local motor trader and he said hpi clear meaning no accident repairs, no reports for stolen, no import export and it was thru autotrader. Nothing raised any red flags as the chaps Facebook was from 5 years old, all public with his wife kids and birthday etc. Basically found his whole life on there. Car needed some work doing as explained in his communications so he reduced the price. But upon inspection needed more work so we agreed to for more price to be knocked off to cover the repairs. He claims he isn't good with cars and didn't want to be lumbered with extra money in the car. So this was alll agreed. Checked paper work and all okay everything matches, log book issue date from his buying date, keys and some previous receipts. He said its his car and owns the car, met at his address and everything matched with v5c. We agreed the price and wrote a written receipt, paid via bank transfer to his wife as she looks after their money. Which is understandable.

Drove home all OK, 2 days later my partner wants to do a car check of her own for the sake of doing it as she's never done one before, and behold it has outstanding finance. Tried contacting the seller and he doesn't respond. So it raised red flags and I screenshot everything, conversations, the selling ad, his profile, his pics, his wife, basically everything I could. Then next morning his account is disappeared and number blocked. I have his name, address, dob, pictures, numerous pictures of his life infact.

So i have now contacted the finance company (bluemotor finance) and made them aware of the situation and provided details - as a friend of mine is a solicitor, and he advised best thing is contact them immediately. He's obviously provided me with some insight of the situation and having 'good title' and that if I have everything I should be covered.

Where do I stand with this as the car was planning on being used as our daily driver for work n errands and everything else, currently It is taxed and literally was going to start driving from Monday.

I know I have majority covered but is there anything else any one can advise on?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Tags: None

As you are aware you are protected, but until you hear from Blue motor and have in writing that they are relinquishing all claim to the vehicle it would be advisable to keep the car in a locked garage when not in use.

Comment

Yes I know genuinely that I'm innocent and all the evidence I have I can and will provide to them. I just don't understand how someone can do such a thing. I have a driveway but no garage. Can they do anything whilst it's parked in my drive?

Comment

Recovery firms and debt collectors aren't to be trusted!
        Any possibility of renting a lockup for a while?

Comment

I could possibly use a friend's garden that's gated up and access via a code. I've already paid more than i should to the seller for the car as it needs around £1500 spending on it and he wouldn't budge on the price. To be honest I didnt know selling a car with finance was even possible as I thought finance companies may keep the logbook so you can't transfer keepers. Quite stressed at the moment.

Comment

I just hope it's a misunderstanding

Comment

UPDATE: finance company has acknowledged i am an innocent purchaser of the vehicle and I am now the legal owner. Just over 3 weeks to investigate. Hope the seller gets what they deserve.

Comment

good news for you, and thanks for the update

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X