• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Rejecting vehicle on finance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rejecting vehicle on finance

Hi.

I bought car on finance on the 13th of February, picked it up on the 14th, on the 16th of Feb it went to a limp mode and engine management light was on, had AA looking at it, on the 17th of Feb car went to limp mode again with management light being on again. So spoke with garage I bought the car of. First they said they can book it to investigate what's the issue for the 22nd of Feb but I said I can drop it of with them the same day, which I did. They gave me document to sign to say "I'm bringing my wehicle to their business for repairs to be carried out". On the 20th of Feb I rang my finance company saying I would like to reject the vehicle as its not fit for purpose.
    Few days later finance company rang me to say because I've signed document that I gave my permission for repairs to be done I've give up my right to reject the vehicle.
    Last week I spoke with gent from garage customer care who said they won't fix the car and I can get a different one from their garage which I replied I'm in a process of rejecting this vehicle.
    Garage is still saying to finance company because I've signed this document they won't accept my rejection.
    Now, the car is still in the in the garage and when I rang them today to find out what's happened they said car is still under investigation.
    Can somebody help me please. I need to know what are my right? How I can sort this problem out? How can I make garage to accept me rejecting this car?
    Because I work 33 miles away I needed to buy different cars.
    Thank you very much.
    Tags: None

Having agreed to a repair you have effectively put a hold on your right to reject the vehicle.

CRA 2015 sec 23 (6) states: "A consumer who ..... agrees to the repair of goods cannot ....... exercise the short-term right to reject, without giving the trader a reasonable time to repair them (unless giving the trader that time would cause significant inconvenience to the consumer)"

A reasonable time is not defined, but I would suggest that a fortnight in and they are still investigating may not be reasonable: plus it would appear to be causing you great inconvenience.(or have they supplied a free courtesy car?)
    You need to point out to the finance company that you believe your short term right to reject is now reinstated and you are proceeding to invoke it (unless they provide car.

Do this in writing (email followed by hard copy sent first class with free certificate of posting from Post Office)
    Don't expect them to roll over immediately, but it should get the ball rolling

P.S. was it all on finance, or did you also use a credit card ?
    Last edited by des8; 6th March 2023, 20:57:PM. Reason: request for addtl. info.

Comment

I part exchanged my old car plus payed £200 deposit.
      and no they didn't supply courtesy car.

Comment

So I would proceed with letter

Comment

Thank you very much

Comment

Also I'm due to make first payment on the 18th of march. Should I still do it? Even though I don't have the car?

Comment

I would still pay in order to avoid possible problems further down the line.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X