• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bought a Financed Car by Not Knowing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a Financed Car by Not Knowing

Hi everyone,

Recently I came to know that the car I bought few months ago has outstanding finance. I am new in UK was not sure to check the HPI before buying a car here. I invested more than 8k on the car and not sure what to do at this point. The car is been financed by Barclays finance partner. They are been informed as well. I can not track back the guy from whom I bought the car. What would be the right thing to do at this point so I can get the money back what I have invested on this car and to get this sold.

Thanks
    Tags: None

Are Barclays seeking repossession of the vehicle?

Even though the car still has outstanding hire purchase you have the right to own the car as you weren't aware of the outstanding finance agreement.
    This assumes you are a private buyer and purchased it honestly, from the person who had the outstanding finance

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post

Are Barclays seeking repossession of the vehicle?

Even though the car still has outstanding hire purchase you have the right to own the car as you weren't aware of the outstanding finance agreement.
      This assumes you are a private buyer and purchased it honestly, from the person who had the outstanding finance

The barclays finance team has my details but not back to me yet. In case if they want to take the car back ? How I am going to take my money back from finance company because the private seller is gone and his numbers are off as well. Will I get the full money I paid or just a portion.

Secondly, Now I know that this car has problem so I don't want to keep it either. How I am going to sell it or what's the process to do things in legal manner.

Thanks

Comment

How did you pay for the car? cash/credit card/finance

The problem with the car...are you referring to the outstanding finance or another problem with eg the mechanics of the car?

Comment

How did you pay for the car? cash/credit card/finance

The problem with the car...are you referring to the outstanding finance or another problem with eg the mechanics of the car?

I paid some 70% money by Bank Transfer and the rest by Cash. I spend around 1k on the car to get it ready because its MOT was due.

I am referring to Outstanding Finance.

Comment

Where did you find this car Ebay Private advertised where or other seller.
            Was the price about right for this car in this condition?
            Do you have V5 and service history?
            Do you have a copy/ screenshot of advert?

All this or some info could help you

Comment

All you can do at the moment is wait and see what Barclays finance say.

section 27 of the Hire Purchase Act (1964) says that if you buy a car in good faith and the vendor doesn’t tell you of any outstanding finance agreements, you still have good title to the car.

As you purchased in good faith from the previous owner you will be able to dispute any claim that Barclays make.
              In the meantime keep safe any records you have regarding the purchase such as adverts, text messages, receipt etc.

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                Where did you find this car Ebay Private advertised where or other seller.
                Was the price about right for this car in this condition?
                Do you have V5 and service history?
                Do you have a copy/ screenshot of advert?

All this or some info could help you
                Hi,,

yes I have its service history, V5 and everything on my name.
                The car was priced at fair price because its MOT was due and a bid dent on two doors. That cost me around 1k£.
                yes I have the screenshot of advert and tried to reach to the guy and he start denying that I am big car dealer. I don't do such things, where as the insurance company told me that the car is financed from 2017. So either he knew about the problem and forwarded the car to me with the same problem. When i asked for the HPI check, he told me in the message that its HPI clear and sent a screenshot of fake HPI report.
                Last edited by Usman; 7th December 2022, 12:47:PM.

Comment

All you can do at the moment is wait and see what Barclays finance say.

section 27 of the Hire Purchase Act (1964) says that if you buy a car in good faith and the vendor doesn’t tell you of any outstanding finance agreements, you still have good title to the car.

As you purchased in good faith from the previous owner you will be able to dispute any claim that Barclays make.
                  In the meantime keep safe any records you have regarding the purchase such as adverts, text messages, receipt etc.

I have the screenshots and pictures of the guys from whom I bought. I found their pictures on Facebook. I reach the guy on fb message and he mentioned me to "go away, i sold this car two months ago". In the questionnaire, they are asking about the police report questions. Do you think to involve the police in this matter and tell them ?

Thanks

Comment

To what questionnaire are you referring?

AFAIK this is solely a civil matter and the police will not become involved

Comment

To what questionnaire are you referring?

AFAIK this is solely a civil matter and the police will not become involved
                      I call Scotland Consumer Advice, they mentioned that you can call police to register the case as 1. He lied to you that its HPI clear. 2nd. He is not paying tax(Finance car money), which is a crime and they will be able to help you out in this matter. I called police, explained the advice and get registered the case against the guys.

Comment

So how is that going to help you keep the car or recover your money?

Comment

So how is that going to help you keep the car or recover your money?
                          I guess that will help me to reach to the guys by police and get my money back from them and the finance team will take the car back or the if the finance team wants to recover the car then they will pay me(Not Sure if they will or not). Secondly they can issue me finance clearance certificate to get the car sold. These are the options I am thinking that may happen.

Comment

I doubt the police will be doing much at all, nor will they likely assist directly in recovering your money.
                            Finance companies are not in the habit of paying out when they recover vehicles they believe they own!

I would suggest you keep the vehicle hidden (in a locked garage if possible) to prevent its recovery by the finance house until the question of ownership is settled

Comment

If the car you bought is still on hire purchase - Citizens Advice

The person who hired (Contract) from finance House is not the owner but hirer until the final payment etc paid therefore the finance house is the owner (albeit not the registered keep). but as in later cases these days as afforded by CAB above there many be exceptions to owner now due to another persons selling a property not theirs as owners?

Years ago the finance company could reclaim the car and the innocent person who purchased it had to go thru hoops to try and get monies back.
                              Last edited by MIKE770; 8th December 2022, 09:36:AM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X