• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Can my ex take my car?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can my ex take my car?

I bought a car with my then partner. I part exchanged my old car and he put cash towards the rest. We have now separated and he is threatening to take the car unless I pay him back the money in full. He has the purchase invoice in his name but I am the registered keeper and main insurer. Do I have any rights at all?
    Tags: None

Yes, you have rights, but so may he. How does his cash contribution compare to the part exchange value of your old car? How long ago was the present vehicle purchased? Can you explain why the vehicle was invoiced to him?

Are there any other financial /property issues between you that need to be resolved?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now in academia. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Hi, I paid a third in comparison to his cash contribution. My carvwas worth £1300. I have offered to make regular payments to pay him back but he has refused this. The car dealer automatically made out the receipt in his name, however there is also proof that my car was used as part ex on the receipt.
      There aren't any other fnancial issues or ties.

Comment

He obviously thinks that you owe him money. Do you agree? If you do not agree, why not?
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now in academia. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

I agree I owe him something towards the car but he's being unreasonable and demanding the money immediately.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X