• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

HP Finance car broke within 5 months of a new Cam belt.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HP Finance car broke within 5 months of a new Cam belt.

Hello,

I will keep this abridged as much as possible but including all the relevant info, thanks in advance for reading!

* Bought a car back in October 2020 on HP from a Dealership.
    * It was agreed cam belt and other work to be done to it before I received the car, as it had done 90k miles.
    * picked up car when the work was done.
    * car ran fine no problems for 5 months until February 2021
    * car broke down, had a mechanic look at it and confirmed it was the cam belt.
    * Rang Dealership and informed them, and they spoke to garage, Garage told Dealership it wasn't possible to be the cam belt..
    * Rang CAB to get advise on there to go next as Dealership said they couldn't help me.
    * I informed the finance company and they spoke to the broker for the dealership, who spoke to the garage who did the work.
    * Got a letter through the door to confirm what I told the finance company, said disputes take up to 8 weeks to resolve.
    * was advised by finance company to speak to the garage who put the new cam belt on, and for them to inspect it.
    * Had to pay £120 out of my own pocket to get the car transported to the garage, as I had no other choice to get it transported there. garage had no transport and Finance company said I had to get it there myself.
    * waited a few weeks, finance talking to dealership, dealership broker and garage and back and forth.
    * Dealership rang me on Friday just gone to say the garage looked at the car by 2 people, both persons said the cam belt broke due to (and this is there official report) shrapnel/something on the road hitting the bottom of the car, worn the casing out protecting the cam belt which allowed other something to get to the cam belt and damage it. Dealership was given a quote to fix the car and asked if I could contribute about £500 to which I said I would talk to my partner about it, which I don't want to do as I feel I have been let down enough.
    * Garage who put the new cam belt on isn't taking any responsibility, the Finance company are telling me the Dealership is responsible for the repair, CAB is telling me the finance company is responsible as it's a HP car, so I don't know what to believe now.
    *I phoned the Finance company and I said about my right to withdraw, and the lady over the phone said that's only if it's within 30 days, but that's not the impression CAB gave me.
    * CAB Has told me if it gets past the "8 week deadlock" I could go through the financial ombudsmen, which is coming up to the end of this Friday 16th April.

Should I just wait and let the finance company sort it all out and give them the benefit of the doubt? I realize that I shouldn't be paying out for anything, but I felt it's been unfair to be left without our family car for 2 months whilst still paying the finance, and having to pay £120 for car transportation. I don't earn a lot so this has become highly stressful, I wish I could just be done with the car and the finance company take it back and cancel the whole agreement.

Any thoiughts?

Thank you and sorry for the long read!
    Tags: None

Originally posted by MetalPhoenix View Post
    Hello,

I will keep this abridged as much as possible but including all the relevant info, thanks in advance for reading!

* Bought a car back in October 2020 on HP from a Dealership.
    * It was agreed cam belt and other work to be done to it before I received the car, as it had done 90k miles.
    * picked up car when the work was done.
    * car ran fine no problems for 5 months until February 2021
    * car broke down, had a mechanic look at it and confirmed it was the cam belt.
    * Rang Dealership and informed them, and they spoke to garage, Garage told Dealership it wasn't possible to be the cam belt..
    * Rang CAB to get advise on there to go next as Dealership said they couldn't help me.
    * I informed the finance company and they spoke to the broker for the dealership, who spoke to the garage who did the work.
    * Got a letter through the door to confirm what I told the finance company, said disputes take up to 8 weeks to resolve.
    * was advised by finance company to speak to the garage who put the new cam belt on, and for them to inspect it.
    * Had to pay £120 out of my own pocket to get the car transported to the garage, as I had no other choice to get it transported there. garage had no transport and Finance company said I had to get it there myself.
    * waited a few weeks, finance talking to dealership, dealership broker and garage and back and forth.
    * Dealership rang me on Friday just gone to say the garage looked at the car by 2 people, both persons said the cam belt broke due to (and this is there official report) shrapnel/something on the road hitting the bottom of the car, worn the casing out protecting the cam belt which allowed other something to get to the cam belt and damage it. Dealership was given a quote to fix the car and asked if I could contribute about £500 to which I said I would talk to my partner about it, which I don't want to do as I feel I have been let down enough.
    * Garage who put the new cam belt on isn't taking any responsibility, the Finance company are telling me the Dealership is responsible for the repair, CAB is telling me the finance company is responsible as it's a HP car, so I don't know what to believe now.
    *I phoned the Finance company and I said about my right to withdraw, and the lady over the phone said that's only if it's within 30 days, but that's not the impression CAB gave me.
    * CAB Has told me if it gets past the "8 week deadlock" I could go through the financial ombudsmen, which is coming up to the end of this Friday 16th April.

Should I just wait and let the finance company sort it all out and give them the benefit of the doubt? I realize that I shouldn't be paying out for anything, but I felt it's been unfair to be left without our family car for 2 months whilst still paying the finance, and having to pay £120 for car transportation. I don't earn a lot so this has become highly stressful, I wish I could just be done with the car and the finance company take it back and cancel the whole agreement.

Any thoiughts?

Thank you and sorry for the long read!
    have you by any chance still got the cambelt ? if you have i would be returning the belt to the manufacturer and get there own report on the matter

Comment

It was reported that there was a a failure of the fan belt cover that allowed something into the case. So they gave confirmed that the cover was not as it should have been.

The consumer rights act gives 30 days to reject absolutely without having to give them a chance to repair. Up till 6 months you have to give them a chance to repair and it is assumed the problem was there from the start. If they cannot or won't repair then again you can reject. You can also claim for any losses that you have incurred

I doubt if a single stone etc would break the cover.

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
        It was reported that there was a a failure of the fan belt cover that allowed something into the case. So they gave confirmed that the cover was not as it should have been.

The consumer rights act gives 30 days to reject absolutely without having to give them a chance to repair. Up till 6 months you have to give them a chance to repair and it is assumed the problem was there from the start. If they cannot or won't repair then again you can reject. You can also claim for any losses that you have incurred

I doubt if a single stone etc would break the cover.
        I found it odd to, as when I first went to look at the car it has a cover under the engine area anyway. I should of took my own pictures at the time, oh well lesson learned I guess!

I will let it ride out then, and give them the allowed one chance to repair and go from there Just takes so long....

Thanks all.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X