• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Unwittingly bought a car with finance attached to it, unsure of the next steps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unwittingly bought a car with finance attached to it, unsure of the next steps

Hi,

On the 30/01/21 I saw an advert on ebay and arranged a viewing of the car. I subsequently bought the car for £2700 from an individual who I believe is a second hand car dealer, set up as a sole trader or business. I then took the car to my local mechanic where he completed a full service and replaced some worn/missing parts to the tune of £400.

When I came to tax the vehicle (12/02/21), I found that the code on the v5c/2 wasn't valid and this sent alarm bells ringing. I completed a carguide check and found that it has outstanding finance with motonovo finance that started on 29/01/19 for 49 months.

I have copies of the ebay advert to show that I had no idea of any outstanding finance.
    I have my bank records to show when I bought the car and the v5c/2
    I have bank records to show when I paid for the carguide check and hence was made aware of the finance
    I have the name, number and address of the individual/car dealer I bought the car off.

Motonovo have not been in contact with me yet.

My questions are, around what I do next. I suspect the person I purchased the car from is not the original debtor and is set up as a car dealer and I don't know whether that effects my claim of ownership based on Section 27 of the Hire Purchase Act 1964

Should I inform motonovo of my claim of ownership? If so, does anyone have a template email which I can personalise? I have started some research and it seems likely that when I inform motonovo they will come and take the car and I will have to threaten them with legal action to get the car returned and will have to follow through with the action if I want to recover the costs involved with them taking my car, could anyone give me advice if this is the likely outcome?
    Tags: None

You need to understand it’s not your car, it never was and never will be.

You have been scammed out of £2700 you should inform the police and say goodbye to the car. You need to recover your money from the person who sold it to you in the first place.

All advice I give is in an unprofessional non liability capacity because I am not regulated by the by the Law Society or the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) as I am not a solicitor nor do I purport to be a solicitor or belong to a firm of solicitors. I am not registered by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) as I do not undertake any regulated activities.

Comment

I would not inform Motonovo... that is not your responsibility.

When not in use keep car off road (in locked garage if possible) and be prepared to rely on that section of the HP act you highlighted!

Comment

Originally posted by EnglandPi View Post
        You need to understand it’s not your car, it never was and never will be.

You have been scammed out of £2700 you should inform the police and say goodbye to the car. You need to recover your money from the person who sold it to you in the first place.

All advice I give is in an unprofessional non liability capacity because I am not regulated by the by the Law Society or the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) as I am not a solicitor nor do I purport to be a solicitor or belong to a firm of solicitors. I am not registered by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) as I do not undertake any regulated activities.
        Thanks for the advice,

Is it worth trying to get as much use out for the car as I can before contacting the police and chasing the guy I bought it off?

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
          I would not inform Motonovo... that is not your responsibility.

When not in use keep car off road (in locked garage if possible) and be prepared to rely on that section of the HP act you highlighted!
          Thanks Des8!

I like the positive attitude, I don't keep the car at the registered address so they will struggle to find me or the car. I guess I will sit tight until I get a letter from motonovo and then reawaken this thread.

Cheers!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X