• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

**PLEASE** can anyone help me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• **PLEASE** can anyone help me

I have a car on finance with oodle finance, it's a 2012 Corsa on a 61 plate.

I lost my job due to covid and I can no longer pay for the finance, I am now 40 payments in of a 58 month contract, the amount left to pay is £1439, the total finance amount was £4687 - I have never missed or paid late.

I wrote to oodle finance who swiftly responded -(the next day) handing me over to Shoosmiths who will be dealing with it from here.

They have sent me via email a link to VT-validate. Co.uk and I have to complete this self appraisal - do I need to do this? There is a tick box on there to agree to their terms and Conditions but I cannot see what they are.

The car is in perfect condition, I have kept it clean and tidy, there are no repairs to be made, I've had it valeted and it is spotless. The only thing that it has not got is service history, it did. It come with I e, my son is a mechanic and has always serviced it for me with me just paying for parts so I don't actually have any proof of this.

I have all Mot's, v5 and the owners manuals etc, it is just the service history but there are no warning lights or anything like that - is this something they will try and get me for? I am VT for financial reasons and I just don't have the money to pay anything out, I assumed that as I'm well over the 50% Mark id have no more to pay.

I'm struggling financially hence the VT. Should I complete this appraisal?

Many thanks in advance for any help you are able to offer.
    Tags: None

Should say "it did Not" come with a service history

Comment

I don't see there being an issue with doing a self-appraisal but it depends what that appraisal is wanting you to do and if you are comfortable doing it. I would be concerned about the terms and conditions and especially if you don't know what they are.

If you don't want to do it (and you're not required to do it) then go back to them and say so. Or you can send them an email and say you are concerned that in order to complete the appraisal you have to agree to the T&Cs and you don't know what they are, so ask them to provide a copy of the appraisal form only or you can do your own self-appraisal.
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thank you so very much, I will contact them and say exactly that.

Really really appreciate your help

Comment

You have a number of options

1 if you VT your car and return it to them you wont have any asset and may end up with not being able to afford another car.
          2 Ask for a settlement figure and px it for another car which your credit may score differently so may get a cheaper finance rate
          3.Have you ask for a covid payment holiday? Im sure the law states you can have a 3 month deffered payment hol subject to not being in arrears.
          4 get a settlement figure as to borrow a bit of money of a relative and sell your car, pay back your relative and maybe have a enough money for a little run around.
          Please if you need any other help don't hesitate to let me know and I will see what I can do thanks

Comment

Hi,
            The company have called me and want to collect the car tomorrow morning which is great, he said however that I will need to sign a document, I said that I had been advised that I am not required by law to sign anything but he said that if I don't they have to go to court and get a court order to take it from me.. I said you can take it, I'm not stopping you, I just don't wish to sign for sonething that I'm not entirely sure I'm signing for, he said I'm just signing to give up my rights to the car?

Do I sign when he arrives and does the appraisal?

Many thanks

Comment

If it is just to state that an inspection was done then OK but if there is anything else then don't sign. If unsure then don't sign. Make sure that there is not a different sheet of paper under the signature space. The pickup guys are well used to people not signing

Comment

Thank you.. I said on the telephone that u was of the understanding that it wasn't a legal requirement to sign anything, he confirmed that is the case but also said they cannot take it without me "signing away my rights" he also advised that if they went to court to get a possession order I would have additional charges to pay?!

Comment

Why do they need a possession order? They are trying to put frighteners on

Comment

They said if I don't sign they will have to go to court and get a possession order?

Its a signature on a hand held device he said, he will do the appraisal on it but it must have my signature or he cannot take it?!

Comment

R0b will elucidate on that

Comment

Whilst waiting for input from R0b I would not sign a hand held device as too easily altered
                        I would also take plenty of photos from every which way and angle
                        It is their car and there is no requirement in law for you to sign an appraisal, it is their job to collect it.
                        They'd look silly going to court for a possession order when all you want is for them to take it

Comment

Whatever they say, there is no legal requirement to sign any paperwork or agree to anything on an electronic device. If they threaten you with a possession order (which I think they really means an order to deliver up the car) they will have to prove you have refused to allow them to collect the car. It will make them look very silly in court if you explain to the judge that it wasn't you who refused to collect the car but them.

By the way, was it oodle finance or Shoosmiths who suggested they will have to get a possession order?
                          If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                          LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                          Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hi Rob, thank you for your reply, it's the person who is coming to collect the car who said that, I'm not sure where he is from?

He called me from a mobile number to say that he has been instructed to collect the car.

Comment

Do not feel obliged just because he is threatening not to collect the car. This is what a lot of them say and in the end, most take the car away without signing.

Either you sign the paperwork agreeing to throw away whatever rights you have or don’t sign it and call their bluff and see what he does. If he walks away then let him because he will need to explain why he wasn’t able to collect the car.

The choice is yours.
                              LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X