• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cancelling Lease within cooling off period.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cancelling Lease within cooling off period.

Morning all,

My partner agreed a lease with SRK finance for a Mercedes A-Class just under 2 weeks ago.*

Unfortunately due to the current situation, she has had her work hours slashed (as have I) and it doesn’t seem prudent to add another financial commitment to our outgoings in the current situation.

We are just within our 14 day cooling off period (just) so she emailed to cancel the order and they are asking for a £500 + VAT cancellation fee as well as keeping the £200 admin fee we have already paid them.

This doesn’t seem in keeping with the spirit of the cooling period. Anyone with any suggestions?

Many thanks
    Tags: None

Did she sign the documents in person or online?

What cooling off period are you referring to, the contract terms or legislation?
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hi Rob,

Contract was signed online, regarding the cooling off period, I am unsure. When we signed the agreement we were told delivery of the vehicle (it is in stock) would have to wait 14 days until the ‘cooling off’ period has passed.

Thanks

Comment

Legally, entering into a contract by distance i.e. online, telephone etc. give you an automatic 14 'cooling off' period under the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013. For services alone, the period is 14 days from the day after the contract was made but in cases of goods and services (a sales contract) it should be 14 days on the day after the goods come into possession.

Either way you've said you have cancelled within the 14 day period so you should be within your rights to cancel without penalty. I think the admin fee they could argue as not having to refund but they certainly should not be refusing your cancellation unless you pay an extra £500 + VAT.

Suggest you write back to them making a formal complaint, explaining that the above Regulations allow you to cancel goods and services without giving any explanation or additional charge. Ask them to explain on what legal basis do they have a right to charge £500 + VAT as a cancellation charge and if the answer isn't satisfactory, then you will consider taking further action which may include, taking the matter to the Financial Ombudsman, reporting them to the FCA's enforcement team for failing to comply with its obligations under the FCA rules or legal action (should you need to).
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

hello, did you do the above? No doubt there are others who are in your predicament or will be in the future. thanks,

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X