• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Finance company refusing to let me do a VT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finance company refusing to let me do a VT

Hi can anyone advise or help?

I have car finance with Blue Motor Finance and my financial circumstances have changed and i can no longer afford the car. i am at the point were i can do a voluntary termination and rang them to see where i stand and how i go about this, i was informed by the advisor that i could no longer do a VT as my agreement had been terminated due to a default notice and they have entered me into a pre contract to keep the car.
    Last year May/June time i rang as i had difficulties paying that months installment due to a financial emergency that took priority over anything else. i rang BMF to explain this and see what i could do, I.E if it was possible to have 1 month payment holiday. this was flatly refused as they don't offer this service and i was told by the advisor to cancel my DD and then ring up and make an arrangement to pay the arrears over a period of time (3 months) and everything would be ok.
    I then received a alarming letter basically saying i had defaulted and they wanted the car back and still chase me for the full balance! i rang them and after speaking to a rude and very abrupt advisor who wasnt interested in what i had to say or was advised by his colleague, i set up a payment plan over 3 months to pay the 1 month i missed. i have looked on my credit report and there is no history of any defaults against my account only 1 month arrears which is now paid off and fully up to date.
    My question is how can they terminate my agreement and i still have to make the payments and for them to enter me into a pre contract agreement to keep the car without my say so and i didnt sign any new paperwork to state i was happy to do this.
    I still need to VT the vehicle so is there anyway i can still do this? are BMF just trying it on and hoping i leave it and carrying paying my finance even though i cant afford it?

any advice and/or help is very welcome!

thanks in advance
    Tags: None

You lose the right to VT once the agreement is terminated. At the time of termination, you could have made an application to the court for what is known as a Time Order in which the court has the power to reinstate the agreement as if not termination took place and then make arrangements to repay the default amount. Instead, you entered into an agreement to repay the outstanding balance and in return BMF have allowed you to continue using the car and that's it.

If you feel hard done by or that what I've said is wrong, all I can suggest it make a formal complaint to BMF and then take it to the Financial Ombudsman for a decision.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thanks,

i wasnt even aware they agreement had been terminated and only found out when i rang to ask about the VT and wouldnt know my rights to apply for a time order if i did. i will have to make a formal complaint to BMF an see how i get on.

Comment

Hi can you let me know what the outcome of this was please as I am in a similar position right now with bmf

Comment

~Just read through the above posts, one point id have flagged up is the agreement can only be terminated for breach by service of a compliant default notice, we know this from among others PRA and Doyle and also Harrison v Link. So if the Default notice is defective they cannot terminate the agreement. That could have opened a door to VT.
          I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X