• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Barclays VT issues - please help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barclays VT issues - please help!

Hello!

I have written to Barclays (13th August) to voluntary terminate my HP contract using the template provided here and have also stipulated on this that I would like to be contacted only via email and post. Since then I have received a call to say they wouldn't process this claim until I signed their paperwork. I asked for them to write this to me which they refused as my email address isn't secure (fair enough) but then refused to write to me via post. I then emailed customer relations again stating my disappointment in a blatant disregard for my request and that I will not sign any of their letters (used LB template for this also) and the have until 3rd September to come collect the car or it will be uninsured on a public road. I have received a letter confirming they have received my complaint around paying £150 for them to collect the car which they have in the letter advised they will waiver however I would need to pay them initially then phone "Janet" who will authorise a repayment.

I haven't contacted them yet, but am I to take this letter as they have now accepted my VT? And would you advise to pay the £150 to be reimbursed? I am also really worried about cancelling my insurance on 3rd September however my fiancee who is a police officer has told me to do it! Are there any ramifications from Barclays in doing this?

Thank you for any advice!
    Tags: None

There's no legal requirement to wait for them to accept your VT thought it would suggest they have.

That said, given the hassle you have already encountered, do you think it would be that easy to pay Barclays the £150 for it to be authorised as a repayment? Why can't they simply waive the £150 and why do you have to go round in circles?

That doesn't sit right with me but whether you pay or not is entirely your choice.

Is the car sitting on your drive or public road?
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
      There's no legal requirement to wait for them to accept your VT thought it would suggest they have.

That said, given the hassle you have already encountered, do you think it would be that easy to pay Barclays the £150 for it to be authorised as a repayment? Why can't they simply waive the £150 and why do you have to go round in circles?

That doesn't sit right with me but whether you pay or not is entirely your choice.

Is the car sitting on your drive or public road?
      Thank you - it doesn't sit well with me either! I am going to write to them today enquiring about this and ask they get in touch to arrange a suitable date. The car is on a public road outside my house - we don't have a private driveway.

Comment

Hello,

Please help! I have received nothing but obstructive communication from Barclays insisting I pay £150 (which they "promise" to pay back) to collect my vehicle and threatening language stating charges will be applied to my account due to the condition of the vehicle once sold - surely if its sold then its deemed in reasonable condition unless sold for scrap?

Today is also d-day in which I stated I would change the DVLA details over to them - I have given them 28 days from my first communication to now which I think is more than fair. I am struggling to find the relevant information to put into the DVLA online if anyone can help?

I am also struggling to hold my own with them and almost want to give in a drive the hour to the local Manheim auctions! But I can't when its information has been changed over.

Has anyone had any experiences of changing DVLA info over then sending keys etc back to Barclays?

Thanks!

Comment

Not sure what information you are struggling with for the DVLA.

1. Go to https://www.gov.uk/sold-bought-vehicle
          2. No, you are not a motor trader.
          3. You want to put the vehicle in someone else's name
          4. Click on the green box that says "Tell the DVLA".
          5. Follow the rest of the steps but make sure to tick the option to get confirmation of the sale (even though it's technically not a sale as such) as evidence.

You don't need to hold your own, just follow through with what you said you will do. You could even send them one final email to say that time is up, and unless they confirm by return no later than 12 midday tomorrow for example, that they will then you will notify the DVLA. You can point/restate to them that their insistence that you pay £150 before they will arrange collection of their own car is unreasonable, especially when your liability is limited to 50% of the toal price payable under the agreement. There is nothing to prevent them from arranging collection of the car and then commencing legal proceedings for to recover the £150 that you allegedly owe to them for collecting the car.

No need to get engaged in a slanging match, you have to remember that any correspondence could be put in front of a judge so you want to be seen as reasonable and as level headed as possible.

Alternatively you can just cave in and drive it to Manheim, it's your choice and doesn't really affect me or anyone else other than your own time and costs.
          If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          LEGAL DISCLAIMER
          Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Great thanks! I really needed to hear that - definitely not caving in!

I wasnt sure how to tell DVLA about the details of tge new registered keeper because I'm not selling it back to them so confused on that part. Would I just use tgeir Cardiff PO BOX as address?

Comment

It's their own downfall and quite frankly I would be surprised if a judge would find Barclays were being reasonable when there were other ways of resolving the issue but hey ho.

The address should be the same address as listed on the agreement.
              LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Update: from 12th September, I am no longer the registered keeper of the vehicle, its now sitting uninsured and untaxed in my street. I made Barclays aware of this and I've had no correspondence since. Should I be concerned about the lack of correspondence from Barclays since I got my last letter 2 weeks ago?

Comment

You could send them a further update and let them know where it is and that because of their lack of correspondence all responsibility and liability now lies with them.

A reminder isnt going to hurt and cant say you didnt try.
                  LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X