• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Broken car on HP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken car on HP

Looking for advice on next steps. Apologies for the length.

May 21st - took delivery of car purchased on HP finance for 5k (7.5k after all payments)

Nov 20th (5 months and 30 days from delivery having covered only 2k miles) a fault became present. Have time/date stamped images of the fault from this day that show it so bad it must’ve been like it for a long time.

Nov 21st - AA called out and taken to garage following morning) AA breakdown report given. Garage won’t touch car as it isn’t clear what’s causing the problem and say it will take 4-6 hours of stripping to find out, recommended due to the nature of the fault it goes to Vauxhall. Arrange for it to go to other local garage instead.

Nov 23rd - Second garage point out incorrect parts fitted to car, they provide report and state they won’t carry out any repairs due to this and tell finance company the engine needs stripping. Finance company contacted, complaint opened.

Nov 30th - Finance co contact to say them and dealer have decided to get an independent report done.

Dec 6th - Man turns up with nothing but a torch and spends five minutes looking in engine.

Dec 11th - Finance company call and state the engineer has diagnosed it as an oil cooler fault and that is wear and tear so they are closing complaint on the grounds that it’s now my responsibility to fix.

Dec 12th - on the verge of losing my mind and what’s left in my bank account I take the car to Vauxhall for inspection. Their master technician provides a report stating it is not possible to diagnose the issue without 6 hours worth of engine stripping and flushing. He advised the hoses all need coming off and might cause more repairs and damage in doing so. They think the engine may actually be the cause of the issue and it might need a whole new one, either way this cannot be diagnosed without mayor work ie the finance company’s report is a load of old crap. Basically they have quoted £850 and 6.5 hours labour to find out whether it is an oil cooler problem or needs a new engine, the exact same thing every local garage I have ran around taking it to have said. (Apart from the finance company who insist their five minute roadside inspection with a torch has nailed the problem down)

This is where I am at now. Finance company were sent my latest info from Vauxhall on the 12th and are yet again taking their time with it. No local garage will touch the car to just replace the oil cooler because they all say it needs stripping to properly diagnose the fault as it might not be the oil cooler. Had no use of the car for a month now and getting sick of it all.

Do I have enough evidence to just reject this car now? What letters do I need to send?
    Tags: None

Hi and welcome
    So WRITE to finance company disputing their engineers report, and enclose a copy of the Vauxhall engineer' report.
    Tell them you find the vehicle unsatisfactory and not fit for purpose, and as the fault developed within the first 6 months after delivery it is deemed that the faults were present at the time of delivery.
    Tell them that as per your statutory rights conferred by Consumer Rights Act 2015 you require they arrange a repair within the terms of the said act.
    If they fail to agree you will exercise your final right to reject the vehicle.
    You require their decision within 14 days, failing which you will initiate court action without further notice.
    All further correspondence must be in writing (hard copy or email)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X